So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

NP:

51PocLHNFWL.jpg

First listen. Recently tracked down this disc based on a strong recommendation in Nate Chinen's book about jazz in the 21st century. 

Earlier:

51iW5ztqoWL._SX500_.jpg

I could listen to Hank for a long, long time and NEVER tire of the sound he makes on that alto.

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Unbenannt.png

One of Waldron's Enja releases that I don't have. ... Where's the "I'm jealous!" emoticon? 😉

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MI0002797391.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Whatever became of Rod Williams? He only made two records as a leader, both for Muse. (Hanging in the Balance was his debut in 1989.) I see sideman work for Cassandra Wilson and David Murray. But not much else. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Edited by HutchFan

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MI0002797391.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Whatever became of Rod Williams? He only made two records as a leader, both for Muse. (Hanging in the Balance was his debut in 1989.) I see sideman work for Cassandra Wilson and David Murray. But not much else. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Nice player.  I've seen him in Detroit a couple of times in the last couple of years with some of Detroit's finest, most recently backing Phil Ranelin for his 80th Birthday show.  Mark Stryker may be able to tell you whether Williams is still mainly based in New York, though.  The first time I saw him was so I could see a full gig with saxophonist Cassius Richmond, whose huge sound has captivated me whenever I've heard him playing outdoors.  

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

81Esd5pcRhL._SS500_.jpg

Michael Blake - Drift (Intution, 2000)

First impressions: More stunning compositions & playing, Mingus-ian in scope.

Why isn't Blake more well-known?  I can't believe that I'm 20 years late to the party.

Agree re: Blake. Get Tiddy Boom for more recent work (2014). Quartet with Frank Kimbrough, Ben Allison & Rudy Royston. There are time gaps in his career that I can't account for.

2 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Agree re: Blake. Get Tiddy Boom for more recent work (2014). Quartet with Frank Kimbrough, Ben Allison & Rudy Royston. There are time gaps in his career that I can't account for.

Will do, jhoots. Thanks for the rec. :tup 

I was expecting (at least) some fall-off on Drift after the superb The Kingdom of Champa.   But there is none whatsoever!  Drift is different -- but equally wonderful and evocative. ... I hear LIFE in Blake's music, and -- from this listener's perspective -- that's probably the best thing you can say about any music. 

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Will do, jhoots. Thanks for the rec. :tup 

I was expecting (at least) some fall-off on Drift after the superb The Kingdom of Champa.   But there is none whatsoever!  Drift is different -- but equally wonderful and evocative. ... I hear LIFE in Blake's music, and -- from this listener's perspective -- that's probably the best thing you can say about any music. 

Kingdom Of Champa is phenomenal. Ordered Drift today!!