• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

81ntGP0b8sL._SL1102_.jpg

71IMFfeUhyL._SL1208_.jpg

I'm thinking/hoping that there are now more lively transfers available in the general market place? Suggestions, anybody?

For the King Oliver sides, the Archeophone/Off the Record double CD (there is a thread here somewhere) is great. https://www.archeophone.com/catalogue/king-oliver-complete-1923-jazz-band-recordings/

Edited by kh1958

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

81ntGP0b8sL._SL1102_.jpg

71IMFfeUhyL._SL1208_.jpg

I'm thinking/hoping that there are now more lively transfers available in the general market place? Suggestions, anybody?

The Off the Record reissue was lauded here.  I plan on buying it soon and was pretty impressed by their Wolverines and New Orleans Rhythm Kings releases.  Samples can be found here.

Now playing:image.jpg?c=FVf2IZ5CntfhmMwIIWvmqh_TZlp6

After finding Young's Verve sessions set for $20 and Basie's Complete Deccas for $2 last month, I've found myself digging into this set, which I hadn't spent much time with in the several years I've owned it.  I still have 5 or 6 discs of Verve material and the Deccas to hear.  Between all of this Pres and the Chu Berry Mosaic, I don't need to leave the house.

26 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

For the King Oliver sides, the Archeophone/Off the Record double CD (there is a thread here somewhere) is great. https://www.archeophone.com/catalogue/king-oliver-complete-1923-jazz-band-recordings/

22 minutes ago, Justin V said:

The Off the Record reissue was lauded here.  I plan on buying it soon and was pretty impressed by their Wolverines and New Orleans Rhythm Kings releases.  Samples can be found here.

Thanks, both of you. Just ordered the Off The Record set. A bit pricier than I was wanting to go, but I'm fed up with having to listen to this stuff sounding like this.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Man, we're getting old, aren't we? I can't believe that Jim is already 61.

He's here on the IU campus tomorrow and Wednesday--hoping to catch a free set he's doing with Dave Stryker and Steve Houghton after my airshift wraps up tomorrow evening.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Thanks, both of you. Just ordered the Off The Record set. A bit pricier than I was wanting to go, but I'm fed up with having to listen to this stuff sounding like this.

I can all but guarantee that you will be pleased you did so!

39 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I can all but guarantee that you will be pleased you did so!

I put it in the car yesterday and expect to be through it by the time I get home from work today. Amazon is supposed to have it here today/tonight, so I'm just going to put it right back in the car and take up where I left off, more or less.

Looking forward to hearing some life put into it, or more accurately, recovered from it. I know it's there...