So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

I've heard the Milestone versions in some form or fashion since the old 24000 series reissues (none before that, though). The LPs sounds a little better than the CD, but none as good as this new one. Not that it's suddenly all hi-fi or anything, that would be impossible. But there's at least some presence there now, so I'm happy. Or happier, at least.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

😎 ....

Ike plays a lot of guitar on this one. Really "just" a blues record, sort of stock, really, but Ike could play some blues now, let's not forget that! And Tina could do this in her sleep, right?

It's funny though, how today, if Tina was to make a "blues record" it would be a full-blown event (and would probably be bloated by nonsensical playing). Back then, hey, just another gig, just another record.

It's a solid 3.5 stars imo, 4 if anybody wants to get sensitive about it. Worth a listen just to hear Ike play.

61WLSnLH-oL._SY400_.jpg

Disc 1: My first listen after finding it for $2, although I have a Hep disc covering some 1938 material.  I expected the sound to be worse.  However, I have been spending a lot of the last few weeks listening to '20s, '30s and '40s jazz, so my ears may just be tuned in to older recordings.  

7 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

41rL1hx4m1L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Always great to listen to. A great live recording of the "second quintet".

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

Also .... :

7e59437a85.jpg

Maybe the only Occasion on which Bud played "Satin Doll". Evidently because it´s reported that Ellington produced this album. The choose of the drummer "Kansas" Fields is a bit strange, normally Kenny Clarke was Bud´s drummer in Paris . 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Maybe the only Occasion on which Bud played "Satin Doll". Evidently because it´s reported that Ellington produced this album. The choose of the drummer "Kansas" Fields is a bit strange, normally Kenny Clarke was Bud´s drummer in Paris . 

To me excellent late Bud Powell and both Rovere + Fields fit in nicely ...