• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched a mixed bag of Representatives and four professors today and didn't get much listening to music in.

Did listen to:

Jackie McLean "One Step Beyond" Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG cd. Man this sounds fantastic on the system as it is today.
Thelonious Monk "Genius of Modern Music" Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG cd. Also sounds fantastic on the system as it is today.
Stan Getz "A Go Go" Verve Originals Edition cd. Wanted to listen to vibes again, this time Gary Burton. Sounded really good.

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

What are your thoughts on this one .... ?

Mixed feelings. I can enjoy it from time to time, only in small dosis... :) 

Funny to recall Tete's comments on this session, which was initially planned as a Dexter Gordon session but turned into a Braxton-led session when Dex failed to be available for some reason that I cannot remember now. Ok, we got the rhythm section, we got the studio... let's do it.

Looks like Braxton was very satisfied with Tete's playing, which he deemed as perfectly suitable for his avant-garde conception of jazz. On the other hand, Tete recognized he was playing notes and chords "here and there", without any thread or preconceived approach, while Braxton was "playing his non-sense" :):)  (not the perfect translation for the Spanish word "burradas").

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Mixed feelings. I can enjoy it from time to time, only in small dosis... :) 

Funny to recall Tete's comments on this session, which was initially planned as a Dexter Gordon session but turned into a Braxton-led session when Dex failed to be available for some reason that I cannot remember now. Ok, we got the rhythm section, we got the studio... let's do it.

Looks like Braxton was very satisfied with Tete's playing, which he deemed as perfectly suitable for his avant-garde conception of jazz. On the other hand, Tete recognized he was playing notes and chords "here and there", without any thread or preconceived approach, while Braxton was "playing his non-sense" :):)  (not the perfect translation for the Spanish word "burradas").

Similar feelings here .... thnx for sharing the background story .... btw burradas 😎 ....

This morning I listened to a disc that arrived in the mail yesterday. It's a Japanese LP facsimile cd in the TOCJ 'Super Bit Jazz Classics" series from years back. I had wanted to buy it then but hesitated at the high prices I saw, even though I have the material on LP and in a Mosaic set. Finally saw a reasonably priced copy, and it was sealed. I love this material--good old good 'uns as Pops would say, and Tea is in fine form and well-presented in excellent Capitol recordings:

Jack Teagarden "This is Teagarden"
this-is-teagarden-chicago-all-that-jazz.

After that I wanted to hear another horn player with as lyrical a sound:

Gary Bartz, "Reflections of Monk--The Final Frontier" Steeplechase cd
MI0001500954.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Followed by:
Gary Bartz "Episode One--Children of Harlem" Challenge cd
MI0002379414.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

35 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

This morning I listened to a disc that arrived in the mail yesterday. It's a Japanese LP facsimile cd in the TOCJ 'Super Bit Jazz Classics" series from years back. I had wanted to buy it then but hesitated at the high prices I saw, even though I have the material on LP and in a Mosaic set. Finally saw a reasonably priced copy, and it was sealed. I love this material--good old good 'uns as Pops would say, and Tea is in fine form and well-presented in excellent Capitol recordings:

Jack Teagarden "This is Teagarden"
this-is-teagarden-chicago-all-that-jazz.

Oh yeah, love me some Big Tea! Is the sound that much better than the Mosaic, though, Lon?