Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51jvdoovu6L._SY500_.jpg

This is a very fine compilation of Ford's 1980s recordings for Muse. I dig Ford's Rollins-derived (but not slavish) sound. ... Since first hearing this CD years ago, I've tracked down most of Ford's LPs that the compilation draws from. Sadly, I don't think those records have ever been reissued in any digital format.

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

51jvdoovu6L._SY500_.jpg

This is a very fine compilation of Ford's 1980s recordings for Muse. I dig Ford's Rollins-derived (but not slavish) sound. ... Since first hearing this CD years ago, I've tracked down most of Ford's LPs that the compilation draws from. Sadly, I don't think those records have ever been reissued in any digital format.

Some mighty fine Ricky Ford work on the early Kip Hanrahan releases (f.i " Desire Develops An Edge") ........

NP:

R-4692547-1426161924-2411.jpeg.jpg

12 minutes ago, Justin V said:

41DD521MF6L._SY400_.jpg

The above discussion of Ricky Ford reminded me to pull out this one.  It'd been a few years since I'd listened to it last.  

Yeah man!  I have that on a Gatemouth LP. :tup I didn't know that Landmark had reissued it on CD.

29 minutes ago, soulpope said:

e71e665ec8.jpg

Buster Williams (!!) ....

One of Joe Farrell's finest hours. ... And, IMO, one of the best CTI releases.

Edited by HutchFan

38 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Elephantiasis aside, that Miles figure was actually a "logo" for a quick minute, like "Directions In Music by Miles Davis" would be a "slogan" few years later.

Miles_Davis_-_Sketches_of_Spain.png

MilesDavis_SomedayMyPrinceWillCome.jpg

MileDavis_QuietNights.jpg

Seven_Steps_to_Heaven_cover.jpg

So we lost him via logo. First a logo, then a brand. then a monster to feed. That makes some sense.

Edited by Chuck Nessa
typo

Charles Tolliver Big Band Mosaic Select, Disc 1: It is pretty incredible that the only time I've seen Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell perform was together, nearly 46 years after this was recorded.  They were joined by Billy Harper(!!!), Jay Anderson and Carl Allen. Allen's presence surprised me, but he fit in well.  I was incredibly lucky to be there.