So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

?id=1342151&size=296

In the liner notes, there is a photo of a Chiaroscuro Records EP CR-1975 A/B.  The A side has two Christmas tunes by Joe Venuti & Zoot Sims ("Good King Wenceslaus" & "White Christmas").  The B side has three tunes by Earl Hines ("The Christmas Song", "Jingle Bells" and "White Christmas").  Of these, only Earl Hines' performance of "White Christmas" is included on this disc.  Would any one here know where to find/hear those other tracks?  Have they ever been reissued outside of that original EP?  I would love to hear all of them.  I am  among that likely very small sliver on the Venn Diagram of people who :tup Earl Hines, :tup Christmas songs and yet :tdown Christmas.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On to Hank Mobley "Slice of the Top" Blue Note Japan cd.

001.jpg

I especially dig that they cover "There's a Lull in my Life" which I always enjoy hearing Ivie Anderson sing with the Duke Ellington Orchestra, recorded decades earlier. Nice arrangement by Duke Pearson.

Edited by jazzbo

47 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I'm a bit of a Scrooge when it comes to Christmas music, but I'd like to check that out.

I'm not sure what the consensus is among jimmy Smith fans, but I really like this album.  It's a Creed Taylor production, so there are big band sides along with three trio tracks.  This CD reissue adds 2 bonus tracks:  "Baby, It's Cold Outside" with Wes Montgomery and "Greensleeves" with Kenny Burrell.  It's all very festive and swinging music.

Now playing:

71nBVGstDJL._SS500_.jpg

Any one who is a fan of post-swing era big bands would be well advised to pick up any CD you may find from any of the US military service bands.  I've never been disappointed by any of the ones I have listened to.  They all have some creative arrangements and many excellent musicians.  On this disc, they even manage a listenable version of "Little Drummer Boy".  I cannot help but mention that the band manager is listed as CMSgt Dudley Hinote, who ironically, plays bass trombone.:lol:

Edited by duaneiac

10 hours ago, medjuck said:

Saw her live once. The real deal. 

Wish I were there. Regrettably the probability that she will perform in Germany is very small. 
IMO Ravishing singer and musician.
There are a few voices I fell in love with  this year- - be it  roots or classical music.
Hers  belongs to them.