Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

re: Harris & McCann - both were primed for this kind of marketplace synergy, having both had pretty good R&B Chart hits, Harris in 1968 with "Listen Here" & McCann with "With These Hands". in 1967, both on Atlantic.

Les McCann  has also a good selection on Pacific Jazz Records and some on Mercury.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Magnificent!

Yes, the band's really on form on that one!

51 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Now playing:

R-5841348-1404187006-3987.jpeg.jpg

I may be biased, but I thought the British rhythm section "done 'im proud".:D

Edited by BillF

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Art Pepper Atlas box set

Disc 3 - Art Pepper and Sonny Stitt with Lou Levy, Chuck Domanico, Carl Burnett51dZnZ0yFWL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

One good sign  for me is that the three version of "Bernie's Tune" there are the only three versions of that once ubiquitous tune that I've ever been able to stand. Perfect choice of tempo, for one thing, and both Art and Sonny are inspired.

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Very true.

That record was a huge hit, with a lot of crossover appeal (I figured that out when I showed up to college my freshman year and met people who didn't know anything else about jazz, but they knew that record).. Of course, the "hit" was "Compared to What", which made it problematic for a lot of radio stations (there were "beeped" versions that got played on the stations in this area). Also, what radio play it did get was on Black and/or Underground Radio, so if you weren't tuned in to (pun almost unavoidable, sorry) that scene, you'd have no idea what was going on with that record.

"Cold Duck Time" was also pretty popular, especially as a live/club tune. I was still playing it well into the 1990s.

So yeah, a monster hit record.

It had this cover when I was young and during that time it sold very well. 

I had quite a few from that "That´s Jazz" series: Mingus "Blues and Roots", Coltrane-Cherry "The Avantgarde", Ornette Coleman "Free Jazz", The Messengers feat. Thelonious Monk etc. …..

Unbenannt.png

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Listening to this for the second time today:

81dCjFPdKOL._SS500_.jpg

Miles Davis - Live at The Fillmore East (March 7, 1970): It's About That Time (Sony Legacy, 2 CDs)

This masterpiece is the subject of today's blog post on PLAYING FAVORITES.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Another excellent choice ....

Though the two sets from March 6, 1970 have been recorded in much better sound without the added distortion. Strange Sony chose to only release March 7, 1970. The soundboard bootleg from the other night is an essential companion.

27 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Passed on that series but wish I had bought a few. The US releases are a bit lacking. 

A lot of them are very good. I have almost the entire Coltrane portion of the series, except the ones I didn't need like The Coltrane Quartet Plays (APO Hybrid SACD). The mini-LPs are laminated and so not easily damaged (unlike the Alice Coltrane mini-LPs from 2004). This is the best Ascension CD I have heard. The Kevin Reeves from 2000 had too much highs, the Originals from 2008 also by Reeves was even worse with added compression.

Edited by erwbol