Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

WTF are you under the influence of today, my man? For thousands of years traditional cultures without writing or gov't have been communicating just fine. 

And as well with traditions of non-verbal communications.

Cutting those off (and/or minimizing their importance in ways up to and including calling the very possibility of the existence of such) is like cutting off the higher and lower overtones.

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

The masters have been used for subsequent (budget) reissues in jewel cases, some up until recently while others having been replaced with for instance the US Originals masters of the 2011 SHM-CD masters. I have a spare copy of this Ascension in jewel case in near mint condition as well (UCCI-9124). Are you perhaps interested for a friendly price? 

I also have Live at the Village Vanguard Again! (UCCI-9144).

Also a spare copy of the incredible SHM-CD from 2011 of Meditations without the distortion in the bass of the all domestic releases. And SHM-CD 2011 of Transition.

Friendly price means free except the price of shipping, which is not budget from the Netherlands.

Thank you - I sent you a PM. 

54 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

If Art Blakey starts expressing himself on the drum, the tribe won't know WTF to think and they'll all be slaughtered by the enemy.

The assumption here is that "expression" by definition falls outside of the "language" of the tribe?

I don't know where you grew up, but I grew up in the semi-rural American South, and we pretty much all knew that a simple "hmmmm...." could mean damn near anything (including "where's the men's room) depending on tone, inflection, facial expression, body language, the whole thing. So I've never been convinced that a literal verbal/written expression is the ultimate in meaning. Far from it, actually.

Quite apart from all that though...if there's a language that is not being understood, the problem is not necessarily with the language, and really, it's not necessarily a problem at all. Nobody understands everything. How could they? Why would they? Everything?

5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

But what about a language comprised of nothing but hmmm's?

As long as the people who are supposed to understand it can, you got yourself a language.

Now, if all you want to do is talk to yourself in a language that only you are certain to understand, hey, knock yourself out. Just don't get all angst-y if the gigs aren't there.

Just now, erwbol said:

I think I'll order the Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Johnny Griffin from this series next. Have you heard it? Is the sound as good as the Woody Shaw?

The sound is not as good as on the Woody Shaw, but still very good .... and the music is excellent indeed ....

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

I can tell you that it's among the friskier Jaws/Griff sides of all time, one of the very friskiest, in fact.

I only have the outstanding (performance & sound) Promising Music reissue of Though Tenors Again N Again, originally MPS. Where should I go from there? The early Prestige OJCs? The other new live date Ow! Live At The Penthouse?

I'd go to this Onkel Po thing, then to Griff & Lock (part of the OJC Blues Up & Down CD), and then to the rest of the OJCs, stopping for Ow! somewhere along the way, and not stop until you have them all.

Use this as a gauge, though. If it doesn't do it for you, stop now and wuit while you're ahead:

NP:

81HenuIrSdL._SS500__.jpg

24 minutes ago, erwbol said:

I only have the outstanding (performance & sound) Promising Music reissue of Though Tenors Again N Again, originally MPS. Where should I go from there? The early Prestige OJCs? The other new live date Ow! Live At The Penthouse?

You might start with two OJCs that were my "gateway drug" for this duo: The Tenor Scene and Live at Minton's.  With an outstanding rhythm section: Junior Mance, Larry Gales and Ben Riley.  ... But you can hardly go wrong with Griff & Lock.  They're all good.

42 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'd go to this Onkel Po thing, then to Griff & Lock (part of the OJC Blues Up & Down CD), and then to the rest of the OJCs, stopping for Ow! somewhere along the way, and not stop until you have them all.

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

You might start with two OJCs that were my "gateway drug" for this duo: The Tenor Scene and Live at Minton's.  With an outstanding rhythm section: Junior Mance, Larry Gales and Ben Riley.  ... But you can hardly go wrong with Griff & Lock.  They're all good.

I found a sealed copy of Blues Up & Down on Discogs. The Onkel Po was already in my Jazz Messengers cart for the next monster order.

Thanks.