• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WeedsAON_2048x.jpeg?v=1454294996

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

👍European Rhythm Machine👍....

I saw them at Ronnie Scott's. Perhaps they weren't on form - the music wasn't very exciting. More exciting was the word that went round the club that the woman with the kids on the front row was Charlie Parker's widow. And of course she was!

My+Life+in+E+Flat.jpg

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Yesterday late evening .... :

ab67616d0000b273d9fe4b221dcdf2177c76b1be

Frankie Dunlop (!!) ....

This may be getting repetitive, but I also saw the Monk quartet with Frankie Dunlop. It was in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester and there was difficulty at first at getting Monk out on stage (Robin Kelly wrongly locates this in Milan) and an awkward-looking John Ore was sent out to play two lengthy bass solos alone until the maestro could be persuaded to budge.<_<

23 minutes ago, BillF said:

This may be getting repetitive, but I also saw the Monk quartet with Frankie Dunlop. It was in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester and there was difficulty at first at getting Monk out on stage (Robin Kelly wrongly locates this in Milan) and an awkward-looking John Ore was sent out to play two lengthy bass solos alone until the maestro could be persuaded to budge.<_<

Always appreciate your memories :tup ....

Here a lesser known Mingus album: 

Recorded after the European tour of spring 1964. Byard had left the group temporarly, replaced by female pianist Jane Getz. Some backgroud info about her playing for a short period with Mingus see Gene Santoro´s Mingus bio "Myself when I´m real". 

Here this is really a very far out playing. Even more into "free" than with Dolphy in Europe. Fanscinating those tempo changes. 

Interesting also the changed names of the tunes: Faubles of Faubus is here "New Fables" (with the great John Handy sittin in), and Meditations on Integration is here "Meditations for a Pair of Wire Cutters". Here we have also Jane Getz soloing, very fine. 

Download (3).jpg

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

Always appreciate your memories :tup ....

Seeing you mentioned Dunlop, I should add that his drumming was really noticeable - it had a real bounce to it and was different. And you could hear it in the Free Trade Hall with its terrible acoustics, which means that it wasn't particularly loud. The first set at that concert had been by the Jazz Messengers with Morgan, Shorter and Timmons. Poor guys - they just couldn't be heard. Blakey's thunderous drumming in that hall drowned them out. :(