• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, BillF said:

58174.jpg

I think I have this with another cover. A CD with a Cartoon pic of Flips and I think all his Verve Recordings from the late 40´s into the early 50´s . And there are some more boppish sounding sides with Howard McGhee on it. 

Some very fine Flip Phillips is also on that old America label LP "Saturday Night Jazz Session" with Roy Eldrige-Flips Phillips on the first side, and a mixed all star band featuring Fats Navarro on the other side. Flips Phillips really strong on the title "Flip and Jazz". 

55 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I have this with another cover. A CD with a Cartoon pic of Flips and I think all his Verve Recordings from the late 40´s into the early 50´s . And there are some more boppish sounding sides with Howard McGhee on it.

A "cartoon"? :D Look out- if this is the one I am thinking of ("Flip Wails") then you are on the verge of getting into hot water with some cognoscenti - that "cartoon" is a high-art cover drawing by the eminent David Stone Martin. ;)
(Yes, opinions on DSM covers CAN vary, but still ... )

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

@Big Beat Steve

The Version I have really seems to be a Cartoon, isn´t it ? 

Look here. 

images.jpg

:D :D

Indeed ...

But I am still trying to figure out if this ACTUALLY is cartoon of Flip Phillips. Somehow the likeness isn't there. A cartoon is supposed to exaggerate the visual features and proportions of the subject, not to totally CHANGE them ... Another one of those bungled-up cover "art" drawings ... (Is this a Japanese reissue?)

Anyway ... I suppose your CD (set?) includes a LOT more than the LP shown by BillF (which I also have, and the Flip Wails CD alone - which is not a "Complete" reissue either - already has more than this LP).

3 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

:D :D

Indeed ...

But I am still trying to figure out if this ACTUALLY is cartoon of Flip Phillips. Somehow the likeness isn't there. A cartoon is supposed to exaggerate the visual features and proportions of the subject, not to totally CHANGE them ... Another one of those bungled-up cover "art" drawings ... (Is this a Japanese reissue?)

Anyway ... I suppose your CD (set?) includes a LOT more than the LP shown by BillF (which I also have, and the Flip Wails CD alone - which is not a "Complete" reissue either - already has more than this LP).

Actually I bought it for the tracks I heard on the Saturday Radioshow "Jazzshop" when they were spinned around 1977. I had recorded them on tape but decades later I wanted to have them to listen again to them.

It was two or three tracks with McGhee and one with the larger band, the title was "Cookie" or "Cutie" or something like that. 

And somehow from the way the hair is on that Cartoon I actually think or thought until now that´s a Flip Phillips Cartoon. 

Grateful Dead, "Mars Hotel" Mobile Fidelity SACD. A favorite release of mine ever since '74.

R-14545612-1576770365-6826.jpeg.jpg

It's ironic that I enjoy the song "Loose Lucy" so much. I have my own Lucy, my wife, who has been my friend since '78. Though she was never like the character in the song, she is instead my "Sunshine Daydream."