Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

of Course I know and own the legendary Art Pepper + Rhythm Section, but I don´t even know About the names from the second Album. Maybe it´s another Kind of Music than that I´m focussed on.

You would probably find that the second album is your kind of music, that is if Stan Getz, Anita O'Day and Annie Ross are your kind of music. ;)

61p%2ByQ7qVXL._SX355_.jpg

Mel & Maggie weren't exactly Bing & Rosie, but they made an agreeable partnership on this album.  The drawback is the material.  The Broadway season of 1960 must not have been a cornucopia of riches.  Of the four shows represented here, only Camelot has really endured.  Three songs here are likely to be familiar to the average listener:  "Hey, Look Me Over", "If Ever I Would Leave You" and "Make Someone Happy".  The other songs are largely forgettable.  The CD adds 8 bonus Broadway originated songs taken from albums made by each singer around this period.

As there was a discussion James Moody dissing Ornette Coleman and so on, I´d state here: Ornette Coleman sits in on "Sonny Moon" but if this would be the only music I knew of Ornette Coleman, I´d also say it´s not what I´d like to hear. 

I´m a big fan of Ornette Coleman, from the first quartet to Prime Time and all, but here he sounds quite "under the weather" and cannot contribute even to that single tune, and Sonny Moon for Two is almost as simple as "C Jam Blues". 

Anyway I think OC didn´t WANT to participate. He takes much time to get on stage , several minutes after he is announced. 

Download (1).jpg

Download.jpg

I_Just_Want_To_Get_Paid_Cover_Scan_1024x

Drummer & singer Dave Tull is also a pretty handy songwriter.  I guess he is sometimes compared to Dave Frishberg in that he can write deftly humorous songs (I think most gigging musicians will sympathize with the protagonist's plight in the title track) as well as ballads and more seriously themed songs.