• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I listened twice each to two new arrivals, cds by Cuban pianist Omar Sosa and the NDR Big Band, "Ceremony" and "Es: Sensual"

omar-sosa-ceremony-ndr-big-band.jpg

Omar_Sosa_EsSensual.jpg

The draw for me was that Brazilian cellist/composer/orchestrator/arranger Jacques Morelenbaum arranged these compositions for Sosa and the band, and I love his work. Quite involving releases that I will enjoy listening to many times to come. Very well-recorded also.

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

510g4DqD7TL.jpg

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

Best Monk tribute album around.

This one is OK, but "best"? I am not sure what would be the best one, but IMHO a definitely better one is (recorded 30 years earlier with some of the same people):

61QsqPXgcrL.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

But check out that Lacy if you don't know it.  

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

I'll give it another shot, but it was the first of many with Waldron, right? And you like it best?

Yes, I think this is the first one, or one of the first ones. This is not necessarily the best Waldron / Lacy collaboration, but as far as Monk tributes are concerned, this is an excellent album. 

As far as Monk tributes are concerned, here is another one:

51%2BgsaN20zL.jpg  

These two young upstarts, Johnny and Eddie, can make circles around Mr. Braxton. 

Edited by Д.Д.

32 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Yes, I think this is the first one, or one of the first ones. This is not necessarily the best Waldron / Lacy collaboration, but as far as Monk tributes are concerned, this is an excellent album. 

51%2BgsaN20zL.jpg  

These two young upstarts, Johnny and Eddie, can make circles around Mr. Braxton. 

Another strong contender .... :

600x600.jpg

This morning I started off with some great Brazilian jazz: Duduka Da Fonseca "Samba Jazz Fantasia." A great cast and recording.

MI0000356809.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Then somehow I got a hankering for Sonny Rollins music. That happens sometimes. Decided to spin two great albums that I listened to on the DCC gold cd editions:

Sonny Rollins "The Sound of Sonny" (Riverside Records)

main_51516ab0-7c18-4c21-8c1f-a3ad7d9ca1f

Followed by 
"Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders" (Contemporary Records)

img_4?1369683853

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

51%2BgsaN20zL.jpg  

Now listening to the Griffin' on YouTube. By the way, **(*) in the Penguin Guide. They feel something's amiss here. No feeling for nuanced Monk tunes.

The Penguin Guide also calls Braxton's Monk tribute a triumph, ****, and I agree. I generally prefer some Thelonious with my Monk, so I own just the one tribute album.

Lacy's Reflections was re-issued in Japan in 2013 as part of the excellent Prestige 7000 & New Jazz Chronicle SHM-CDs. I bought a lot of those in 2013-15 in addition to over a 100 Blue Note 75th anniversary SHM-CDs. That's not counting non-Japanese jazz CDs. I had to make a choice and decided against the Lacy at the time. A choice I don't regret, but I'll have another look.