• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stunning.  I've never been able to REALLY appreciate this material until now, the dozens of previous releases of 'Iron Man' and, especially 'Conversations' (aka 'The Eric Dolphy Memorial Album', aka 'Music Matador') being so shoddy in every aspect:

Image result for eric dolphy musical prophet

34 minutes ago, felser said:

Stunning.  I've never been able to REALLY appreciate this material until now, the dozens of previous releases of 'Iron Man' and, especially 'Conversations' (aka 'The Eric Dolphy Memorial Album', aka 'Music Matador') being so shoddy in every aspect:

Image result for eric dolphy musical prophet

Strange, I thought it was the more accessible Conversations, which was released first, that always had the best sound. That was the opinion of the Jazzwise reviewer in 2002 when the Fresh Sound stereo CDs were released and also my own experience.

By the way, it took me over 30 stress-filled minutes to carefully remove the booklet from the Dolphy Resonance digipack two years ago. It has since had its own plastic sleeve, because putting it back in would surely have caused damage. Exhausting. Haven't listened to Musical Prophet since.

22 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Strange, I thought it was the more accessible Conversations, which was released first, that always had the best sound. That was the opinion of the Jazzwise reviewer in 2002 when the Fresh Sound stereo CDs were released and also my own experience.

By the way, it took me over 30 stress-filled minutes to carefully remove the booklet from the Dolphy Resonance digipack two years ago. It has since had its own plastic sleeve, because putting it back in would surely have caused damage. Exhausting. Haven't listened to Musical Prophet since.

I've never heard the Fresh Sound CD's of these sessions.  They generally do a nice job.   I did fine getting the booklet out, but it is really tight in there, 100 pages.  I love "Iron Man", "Mandrake", and especially "Burning Spear" most of all, and all were on 'Iron Man'.  But it is good to have the session combined on one set, and the alternate takes are nice (though "Crow Jim" is still a pretentious mess to my ears, with the bizarre operatic vocal).

Having spun Reid’s new Old New quite a bit recently I decided to give this one with Nick Mazzarella an outing .

Tomeka Reid/ Nick Marrazella —-Signaling——-(nessa)

I’d forgotten how much this one  impressed me . She’s a real talent.

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

By the way, **(*) in the Penguin Guide. They feel something's amiss here. No feeling for nuanced Monk tunes.

Morton & Cook don't "get" Griff & Lock.  They dismiss most of their records out of hand.

Everyone has their blind spots. 😉

Earlier:

51yNZx8QOwL._SX555_.jpg

51UQcO77LHL._SY355_.jpg

Recorded at a May 1, 1970 concert in Bern.  Mr. Webster appears on 5 of the 11 tracks while Mr. Wilson is on all of them.  If one can get past the very prominent thudding of Isla Eckinger's bass, the two masters offer up a "Stardust" to savor.  The main flaw of this disc is it's over so quickly, but each track is a delight.