• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A cool track, but according to a poster on YouTube:  " This is a lovely track, but Kippie Moeketsi, Victor Ntoni and Danayi Ndlovu (check spelling) are *not* on this recording!! The personnel is Tete Mbambisa (piano, composer and arranger), Barney Rachabane (alto), Duku Makasi (tenor) Basil Coetzee (tenor), Sipho Gumede (bass) and Gilbert Matthews (drums). The photograph is by Ian Bruce Huntley. "

8 hours ago, erwbol said:

I generally prefer some Thelonious with my Monk, so I own just the one tribute album.

Well, this one on EMANEM has the the lonious himself on a couple of tracks. But it's the first part of the CD - the Lacy / Rudd quartet - that is the real deal here.

51rJcy5mAtL.jpg 

71yiSJCZS5L._SY555_.jpg

Wayne Shorter - The Odyssey of Iska (Blue Note, 1971)

This incredibly creative album is the subject of today's post on my blog, PLAYING FAVORITES.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

71EFVjlvdnL._SL1136_.jpg

71C9B6B%2BxCL._SL1107_.jpg

I know Alfredo "Chocolate" Armenteros -- but I'm not familiar with Antonio "Chocolate" Diaz Mena

Regardless, this latter "Chocolate" has one helluva line-up on that record (including the other "Chocolate"!).  Good stuff?

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

71yiSJCZS5L._SY555_.jpg

Wayne Shorter - The Odyssey of Iska (Blue Note, 1971)

This incredibly creative album is the subject of today's post on my blog, PLAYING FAVORITES.

I know Alfredo "Chocolate" Armenteros -- but I'm not familiar with Antonio "Chocolate" Diaz Mena

Regardless, this latter "Chocolate" has one helluva line-up on that record (including the other "Chocolate"!).  Good stuff?

It's a compliation, and as such is very good dtuff!