Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, I have two systems with Decware preamps, EQ preamps, amplifiers, and headphone amplifiers, most with the "25th Anniversary Mods." I have Decware HR-1 speakers in both, and PS Audio and Rega and Oppo sources.  An embarrassment of riches really, I'm glad I was able to build these systems.

For the uninitiated, the 25th Anniversary Mods refers to tubes, right? Any chance you could post a photo of your setup. I would be very interested in seeing it. 

Edited by Brad

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

How large is your living room's surface area?

I have an audio/video system in half of a room that is in total 9 meter by 7 meter. I have my main system in a room about 11 meter by 3.5 meter.

Edited by jazzbo

4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I have an audio/video system in half of a room that is in total 9 meter by 7 meter. I have my main system in a room about 11 meter by 3.5 meter.

Awesome. Unthinkable in the Netherlands. Small country, small houses, especially in the west. 

Now playing:

VcrH5ZP.jpg

1 hour ago, Brad said:

For the uninitiated, the 25th Anniversary Mods refers to tubes, right? Any chance you could post a photo of your setup. I would be very interested in seeing it. 

Yes, the Mods are updates to the component power supply that he offers, really changes the sound of the amps in great ways. The components that the mods are done to are tube based. Modern tube designs, hand wired, no circuit boards. . . don't sound like classic old school tube amps, to me they have the best of both solid state and tube in their sound.

I don't have a camera, I don't have a phone that connects to the web, and I just don't do photos, sorry.

11 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Awesome. Unthinkable in the Netherlands. Small country, small houses, especially in the west. 

Now playing:

VcrH5ZP.jpg

Yes, I know. . . and believe it or not I'm in the smallest house I've lived in since my apartment days, a 100 year old cottage that has been expanded both up and out, but still one of the smallest houses in the neighborhood. I have to rent a storage unit to house much of my stuff as my wife doesn't like "stuff" all around. I've lived in two African countries and traveled through Western Europe, so I know how different that can be.

Edited by jazzbo

On 1/29/2020 at 0:15 AM, Misterioso said:

First CD from the Fontana box set. First time ever I play a Tubby Hayes album. No regrets!

Capture.JPG

First time ever I listen to MQA as well. Will play around later with enabling/disabling the MQA decoder to see whether it makes any difference.

You're in for a treat.:tup Got this new set when it was released (although I do have most of the recordings already) but I've been so busy I've forgotten about it!! Thanks for the reminder/push to drag it out later.

6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Hi John,

can you list some data & tracks from the Kenton in the Netherlands? Many years ago I taped  from radio Hilversum some Kenton concert tracks. Would like to know  whethere these are on that Tantara  CD.

Hi Willie: Here are the tracks and the date and location (Disc 1 only). The '72 tracks may be the ones you taped, since I have your CDR. But I haven't yet done a comparison.   

Concertgebouw, Amsterdam Feb. 6, 1972

Fringe Benefit

Artistry in Percussion

Chiapas

Malaga

Concertgebouw, Amsterdam Feb. 6, 1973   

Fragments of a Portrait

The Daily Dance

Congresgebouw, The Hague, Sept. 17, 1976

Body and Soul

Too Shy to Say

Ramon Lopez

Send In the Clowns

Inner Crisis

Here a largly unknown Album of Bud . 

It´s live Recordings and Radio Recordings from 1953 and 1955.

As expected , Bud is in top form in 1953, when he still was in full demand of his powers. His Long piano solo on "Big Band Blues" aka "Tiny´s Blues" from Washington is top, also his solo with Dizzy on "Woody´n You". On "Salt Peanuts" unfortunatly the tape runs out after Dizzy´s solo when Bud would start.

And the biggest surprise are the 1955 Recordings. 1955 usually is considered an "un year" for Bud, he made the weakest and saddest Recordings for Verve which are painful to hear, at least many of them (I get a kick out of you, Like Someone in Love, The Best Thing For you is me), or at least "Mediocre" (like the title of on better tune). 

But here he really Plays very fine on a broadcast "Bud´s Bubble" with Oscar Pettiford and Art Blakey, and again an Extended live set also from 1955 with a very fine  "Like Someone in Love", so good that we can Forget the painful recording of it for Verve in late 1954. 

Unbenannt.png

12 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Hi Willie: Here are the tracks and the date and location (Disc 1 only). The '72 tracks may be the ones you taped, since I have your CDR. But I haven't yet done a comparison.   

John,

thanks for the Info. Dont have the tracks you have on Tantara CD.

my recordings are  Amsterdam, Sept. 1976

- station logo and Introduction by Stan

-Lush life (06:17)

- Granasdas Smoochie (04:49]

Send in the Clowns (05:06)

- Introduceds next tune (0:44)

- Opus in Pastels (02:55)