• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listened this morning to someone I really admire and don't mention often enough: Tania Maria.

I think she's a wonderful vocalist, pianist, and as unique and "distilled" a composer in some ways as Thelonious Monk.

First up was "Brasil, Volume 2"--early Tania with her trio, a trio that could be as tight, groove as hard, and be as inventive as many American jazz trios. What distinguishes them is perhaps they tended to brighter tempos. . . and were masterful with them. 

Tania herself plays and arranges and reminds me of both Keith Jarrett and Ray Charles. And her singing evokes the rhythmic grace and feeling of Jobim and Regina, but also the silky pure tone of and the fleet, musical scatting of Fitzgerald.

0060249832664_300.jpg

Then I moved on to "Europe"--a later live recording where Tania has fully embraced and weaponized her quirky funkiness. And the engineering here throws huge instrumental images especially of the Stratocaster and Tania's keyboards--it's like being right in front of a stage.

cover.jpg

30 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

R-4179756-1369964107-1333.jpeg.jpg

From the cover photo this might be a later Album (late 70´s early 80´s) but I doubt he made records for Black Lion during that time when he was with CBS. 

I have only one Black Lion Album by Dexter, and it is from 1967 at Montmatre with Kenny Drew, NHOP and Tootie Heath. I think the tunes are "Like Someone in Love", "Blues Walk", "Body ´n Soul" and "There will never be another you". 

Maybe, your Album is from the same period (Black Lion was mostly recording Americans in Europe in the mid/late sixties) and did they try to let it look more contemporanous, with a later photo and a title which is related to the 1985 Tavenier film ? 

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

8 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

From the cover photo this might be a later Album (late 70´s early 80´s) but I doubt he made records for Black Lion during that time when he was with CBS. 

I have only one Black Lion Album by Dexter, and it is from 1967 at Montmatre with Kenny Drew, NHOP and Tootie Heath. I think the tunes are "Like Someone in Love", "Blues Walk", "Body ´n Soul" and "There will never be another you". 

Maybe, your Album is from the same period (Black Lion was mostly recording Americans in Europe in the mid/late sixties) and did they try to let it look more contemporanous, with a later photo and a title which is related to the 1985 Tavenier film ? 

Unbenannt.png

Yes. You got it exactly. 

The music is from the same '67 Montmartre gig as your LP -- but not released until the 80s, prompted by the movie.

Thank you @HutchFan ! 

Well I Always found it very annoying if they used cover photos that were not from the period when the Music was made. Early Music with later photos (I have the old Ornette Coleman with Paul Bley, Don Cherry from 1958 with a photo of Ornette in the 80´s ), or the 1971 Monk Studio Dates with a photo of Monk from 1941, very very annoying. 

20 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

This was one of my first Miles Davis records, recommended by my high school biology teacher.  I will always love this record-it may well be my favorite!

The Hancock/Carter/Williams rhythm section is incredible on it.  I probably prefer the writing on ESP, but this one is an amazing listen!