Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14.2.2020 at 2:08 PM, jazzcorner said:
A WNEW radio broadcast from May 31, 1947 with some great names and a bunch of good Swing/Bebop tunes

Everest Records FS-231 -1947 WNEW Saturday Night Swing Session

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

One of my favourite live albums from about my start, I mean the first year when I discovered all that great music of the 40´s. I must admit I bought it mostly for Fats Navarro , but listen also to the great Roy Eldrigde organization, with the wonderful Flip Phillips. And dig how Eldridge on "How High the Moon" in the outing "Ornithology". Roy was so much ahead of his time. He was the natural link from swing to bop, wasn´t he ? 

And talking about jazz of the forties, that´s what I´m listening to right now. A lot of great music, vintage bop.

Download (2).jpg

Miles Davis, "Live/Evil" Sony SACD (stereo/quad--stereo layer) disc 2, again. . . because I love Bartz on this and it was still near the transport.

R-371105-1259686474.jpeg.jpg

Followed by Freddie Hubbard "Breaking Point" Blue Note/Analogue Productions SACD. Clifford Jarvis gives this a unique feel. . . .

hub-tones-521f632e02303.jpg

20 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Then on to both discs of Miles Davis "Live/Evil," the new stereo/quad SACD from Sony (stereo layer). I love this music so much, have since the 2 LP set was first released. 

Then on to Flora Purim "Stories to Tell," Milestone LP. Another favorite from the 'seventies on. Just a wonderful album.

Pretty sure that Live/Evil was my first Miles album in the early 70s when I started getting into jazz. Took a while to 'understand' it, but became one of my favorites, too. I still have the CD, too ... and maybe the vinyl.

I like that Flora too, and was a huge fan back in her Milestone years. I like Butterfly Dreams a bit better, but she was a real force when she emerged with the first RTF.

Moving from Bop to Fusion

Muse Records MR 5142 Walter Bishop Jr. " Soul Village" - rec. June 1977 - Engineer: Chuck Irwin

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

On 14.2.2020 at 7:58 PM, soulpope said:

e2cf2d88e57c59af9289a4f6e8d6943422db83ad

So good ....

One of the early ones but nevertheless a real good one agreed!!

On 14.2.2020 at 8:55 PM, soulpope said:

Anmerkung-2020-02-14-204819.jpg

Once more one of my favorites

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Re: A WNEW radio broadcast from May 31, 1947  on Everest

One of my favourite live albums from about my start, I mean the first year when I discovered all that great music of the 40´s. I must admit I bought it mostly for Fats Navarro , but listen also to the great Roy Eldrigde organization, with the wonderful Flip Phillips. And dig how Eldridge on "How High the Moon" in the outing "Ornithology". Roy was so much ahead of his time. He was the natural link from swing to bop, wasn´t he ? 

And talking about jazz of the forties, that´s what I´m listening to right now. A lot of great music, vintage bop.

Download (2).jpg

Yes indeed . Sometimes we need "back to the rootes"

Thanks for your nice comment.

Prysock/Basie - supreme and succinct, with just enough Jaws to not just hit the bullseye, but to go all the way through it.

hqdefault.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Apparently it found a market? Sure hope so!

I mean, hey, this is totally what it is, if you know what I mean.

Grown folks' music. No whining, no angst, no reveling in the suffering, just matter-of-fact truth about it.

Is Arthur Prysock falling off the radar, like Billy Eckstine? That should not be allowed to happen.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-2259473-1315999270.jpeg.jpg

Richard "Groove" Holmes' Comin' on Home is the subject of today's entry on my 70s jazz blog.

Earlier this evening, I also added a bit of text to the previous two entries, which had been "bare bones."

I have a few of his albums but, in all honesty, wasn’t familiar with this one. Thanks for the YouTube link. I need to seek this album out. 

R-5383703-1458029556-7639.jpeg.jpg

Two Lucky Thompson LPs on one CD.  Originally released as: 
Plays Jerome Kern and No More (Moodsville, 1963) and
Happy Days Are Here Again (Prestige, 1965)

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I have a few of his albums but, in all honesty, wasn’t familiar with this one. Thanks for the YouTube link. I need to seek this album out. 

I think you'll enjoy it, Brad.  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan