Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Drums – Shep Shepherd Guitar – Billy Butler Organ – Bill Doggett Saxophone – Percy France

Excellent but unfortunately King's decision to put a picture of Percy on the back cover has led a lot of people to think the entire album is Percy on tenor but its not.

Percy tracks are #2, Honey Boy, #7 Percy Speaks, #11, Who's Who (Clifford Scott is the second soloist) and #12, Early Bird.

2 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Excellent but unfortunately King's decision to put a picture of Percy on the back cover has led a lot of people to think the entire album is Percy on tenor but its not.

Percy tracks are #2, Honey Boy, #7 Percy Speaks, #11, Who's Who (Clifford Scott is the second soloist) and #12, Early Bird.

Thanks for that clarification.  The only info I had was what accompanies the posted video on YouTube.

On 16.2.2020 at 6:49 AM, B. Goren. said:

514MwI7KkCL._SY355_.jpg

Those 5 CDs or LPs are the best to hear really Extended work of Bud Powell in a Nightclub. 

15 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

R-1340330-1574587319-7287.jpeg.jpg

This, together with "So much Guitar" also for the Riverside label was a 2-fer LP set when I was beginning to listen to jazz. It was my first Wes Montgomery and I liked it from the first note on. 

I still love it very much . 

5 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Too flowery, you mean?

Perhaps...his harmonic machinations are clever, certainly, but perhaps too much of a good thing too often and for too long? Eventually the math shows thorough and the charm diminishes.

No disrespect to the man, he's certainly a proven and respectable quantity, But he doesn't always set his hook when this fish nibbles, and I usually throw the hook, if not immediately, then eventually.