Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Those 5 CDs or LPs are the best to hear really Extended work of Bud Powell in a Nightclub. 

This, together with "So much Guitar" also for the Riverside label was a 2-fer LP set when I was beginning to listen to jazz. It was my first Wes Montgomery and I liked it from the first note on. 

I still love it very much . 

Bud Powell's recordings at the GC, are among my favorite trio recordings ever. I prefer these recordings over his BN and Verve and not just because these are live recordings.

71BAjig64ML._SX522_.jpg81gRMZAcxVL._SX522_.jpg

Talk about niche music...especially after reading Ned Rorem's fascinating liner notes...apparently there was an entire world going on that only a very few people knew about?

Some of this stuff is better than some other, but there are some really interesting things here.

17 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

R-9027537-1473522440-7194.jpeg.jpg

followed by

R-7982052-1452882322-6988.jpeg.jpg

The "Let´s Freedom Ring" is really one of my favourites of Jackie McLean. I remember, that around 1980  I had a lot of musical discussions with Austrian free jazz pioneer the late Fritz Novotny (Reform Art Unit) and he pulled my coat to more advanced Things, and recommended as a startet this Album and the next one "One Step Beyond". He was pleased that I dig Ornette Coleman also and later played for me his own stuff which was great.

I saw Jackie McLean with Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins who are on this record, but without Water Davis, but with Bobby Hutcherson, who would have been on "One Step Beyond". So I saw a live Group which was a combination of "Freedom Ring" and "Step Beyond".....