• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Sublime beauty ....

Yessssir! :tup

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The "Let´s Freedom Ring" is really one of my favourites of Jackie McLean. I remember, that around 1980  I had a lot of musical discussions with Austrian free jazz pioneer the late Fritz Novotny (Reform Art Unit) and he pulled my coat to more advanced Things, and recommended as a startet this Album and the next one "One Step Beyond". He was pleased that I dig Ornette Coleman also and later played for me his own stuff which was great.

I saw Jackie McLean with Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins who are on this record, but without Water Davis, but with Bobby Hutcherson, who would have been on "One Step Beyond". So I saw a live Group which was a combination of "Freedom Ring" and "Step Beyond".....

Thanks for the remembrances... This is also one of my favourite Jackie McLean albums.

45 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

R-12634134-1579422236-6317.jpeg.jpg

So great ! Sometimes I can´t get enough of Red Garlands light and happy approach to the piano and above all his chord voicings. Actually Red Garland was about the first pianists I noticed since about my first jazz Album was Miles Davis´ "Steamin´". I had it on cassete only and after those piano solos on "Fringe on Top" and "Diane" and his chordings on "When I fall in Love" I´d run the tape back to the start of the solo, until I knew them. 

If I spin that CD mostly for nostalgical reasons I still hum along with Garland´s lines…….

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

Eddie Condon 1947 - 1950,Eddie Condon

I admire those who can listen to old style jazz  as much as to so called "modern". In my case, I have difficulties with pre 1940 styles, somehow it´s the Approach to the Instruments that puzzles me. Let´s take trombone for example. It´s very hard for me to listen to old styled trombone, it sound´s funny to me, when I heard Bill Harris on that WNEW Saturday Nightsession along with some modernits, I Always had to laugh it sounded so funny to me.

Once I read somewhere, that most fans in Japan have the same "Problem". They dig the stuff from bop beyond, but have difficulties with let´s say Dixieland.....

But I borrowed one thing from Eddie Condon: Once he played a poorly attended concert and greeted his audience with "Lady and Gentleman". I used that on my own gigs: As a local you always struggle to get a full house and if I get at least some guys who come down and listen, then I´d say "that even more famous musicians greeted their audience with Lady and Gentleman and I´m pleased that I this night I can say "Ladies and Gentlemen"...……..

Edited by Gheorghe

58 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Slipped into a blindfold test, some of these tracks would undoubtedly stump me-and I know this record...

Yes! This recording perfectly matches Whitney Balliett's definition of "the sound of surprise".

Edited by EKE BBB

6 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

royal-roost-sessions-1948.jpg

Great ! I bought this in 1978 with another cover and it became a "hit" among my Friends. We all hummed those catchy tunes "The Squirrel" "Good Bait", "Our Delight", and don´t forget Allen Eager, he is great on those sides. 

But we were mis-lead by the wrong cover notes of our Musidisc LP, it said it was done in 1949 at Birdland. Later I found out it was made at the Roost. 

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe