Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-13731079-1562492879-4323.jpeg.jpg

David Ayers commented on this recording in the What music did you buy today thread.   I have to agree with his assessment, this is truly one of the best pop albums I've heard in years.  https://www.moomin.com/en/blog/the-star-studded-lineup-for-the-moominvalley-tv-series-soundtrack-finally-revealed-tom-odell-mo-first-aid-kit-and-alma-featured/#ee6066fa

Last night and again this morning:

71WLULAvn4L._SS500_.jpg

Stanley Turrentine - Let It Go (Impulse/GRP, 1966)

Continuing with my Stanley Turrentine / Shirley Scott listening-a-thon today.

I've decided that my favorites from the duo (so far) are this one -- Let It Go -- and Scott's Legends of Acid Jazz disc that compiles Hip Twist and Hip Soul.

But tomorrow is payday, and I'm planning to order a few more.  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

51i0aSrmVxL.jpg

Joe Newman was a solid trumpet player, no question !  Nothing that "knocked me out" but good enough to sit down and relax after a busy day and enjoying some swingin´ music.

So that´s the part that´s okay with me. 

But the other thing that really pissed me off was his attitude on stage when he traveled as a single artists and performed with locals. I witnessed this on several occasions. The local rhythm section was doing a good job and swung and they had played with enough visiting US greats (bigger names than Joe Newman), and he stood their and lectured the guys how to play, what to play, what not to play...…. it was so embarassing. 

If it would have been some heavy stuff with difficult forms , tempo changes and tricky chords, okay...…. but you don´t have to be a Nobel Price winner to Play "Bye Bye Blackbird", the local Rhythm section had played that stuff 100s of times and sure knew how to play "Blackbird" without all that lecturing shit from Joe Newman. 

I remember you told that story before. Not very pleasant for sure ... (Another chapter in the section of "famous jazz musicians being pricks and pains in the butt in their personal interactions ... makes you wonder what's harder to bear - "Mister Know it All" or someone taking advantage of you and living off your back because he figures "he is entitled to it because is a celebrity" ? - The latter characterization incidentally was one told to me by someone in the know about your Austrian #1 tenor sax player of that period)

I remember something like your experience with Joe Newman that crept up between the lines a long time before in some reivew of a tour involving Joe Newman. Sounded to me like a case of some bitter man who felt he had not received his star dues.