Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-1781411-1242914987.jpeg.jpg

Going through my McCoy Tyner CDs, I found this one, still unopened.Ā  It was one of the many items I bought during the Tower Records going-out-of-biz sale, however long ago that was now.Ā  I guess I must have looked at the program of all McCoy Tyner compositions and at the enticing band here and decided to save this disc for a future special listening occasion.Ā  It's sad thatĀ  Mr. Tyner's passing turned out to be the "special occasion" that spurred me to break this one out, but I was delighted by my first (and eventually, second) listen to this.Ā  A very rewarding musical journey.Ā  Bobby Hutcherson is great here.

0e7a6b2e48589dfc14090c5acfba

I've seen this session issued in different version, but this is the one I have.Ā  I suppose it's good to be reminded that while McCoy Tyner was a true giant of music, he was also a gigging musician who had to make bank and this CD presents the trio in a club setting.Ā  An enjoyable, if not essential, session.Ā  I opened the liner notes to find an old ticket stub from when I saw the McCoy Tyner Quintet at Yoshi's on Jan. 26, 2000.Ā  Can't say I remember any details about that concert.

48 minutes ago, Justin V said:

51WpbPzziHL._SY400_.jpg

Disc 1: I bought this 5 years ago for a whopping $7.74 because the box was dented.Ā  It has since gone OOP.Ā  I don't think I ever made it through the whole set, so I am starting from scratch.Ā 

It's a very good set imo. Nice mastering, great music.