• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This album alone would probably make for an interesting blindfold test -- lots of familiar names playing bossa nova from back in the day when everybody had to learn to play  their way through the bossa nova craze.  Sure, Stan Getz is easy to pick out, but can you identify many of the others?  If you are not up to that, this also serves as a nice getaway for those who may be sheltering in place, but whose minds are free to roam to faraway locales.  Wouldn't exactly describe many of these as "rare tunes" though.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Change of pace .... :

ab67616d0000b27319d24b1bad13314a727c0784

Great, I have this also. 

Right now, here´s listening to the Johnny Griffin "Blues for Harvey" , also on Steeple Chase.

Brings wonderful memories back. 

Johnny Griffin was the first US musician I heard "live", it was in spring 1978 at the old "Jazz Freddie" in Schottenfeldgasse, 1070 Viena, and he really played with a superb trio , with great austrian piano star Fritz Pauer, with two US expatriates Jimmy Woode on bass and Tony Inzalaco on drums. 

The next day I bought this album "Blues For Harvey", since they also spinned it down at "Freddy´s". 

Needless to say I was "a wanted man" among our high school jazz buddies, they came by and we listened together to that groovy blues "That Party Downstairs" and "Soft and Furry".....

Download.jpg

3 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Right now, here´s listening to the Johnny Griffin "Blues for Harvey" , also on Steeple Chase.

Brings wonderful memories back. 

Johnny Griffin was the first US musician I heard "live", it was in spring 1978 at the old "Jazz Freddie" in Schottenfeldgasse, 1070 Viena, and he really played with a superb trio , with great austrian piano star Fritz Pauer, with two US expatriates Jimmy Woode on bass and Tony Inzalaco on drums. 

The next day I bought this album "Blues For Harvey", since they also spinned it down at "Freddy´s". 

Needless to say I was "a wanted man" among our high school jazz buddies, they came by and we listened together to that groovy blues "That Party Downstairs" and "Soft and Furry".....

Download.jpg

Classic early SteepleChase platter .... btw great cover photography ....

Keith Tippett/ Andy Sheppard———-66 Shades of Lipstick —-—-( Editions EG)

Recorded 30 years ago this July. I probably bought this based on a review in The Wire. Back in the days when the late Richard Cook was editor. It’s a fine album although I do recall thinking it a tad forbidding at the time. Mind you back then I couldn’t get my head around Cecil Taylor. ......