Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-10800081-1504524691-8318.jpeg.jpg

I bought this mainly for the track with Camille Bertault, but it is a nice album overall, with all singers in fine form. Bertault, btw, is the only singer scatting a chorus.

Donny McCaslin on tenor sounds almost like he's playing alto! He is featured so much you could think it was his album.

Edited by mikeweil

R-5954434-1555062258-4594.jpeg.jpgR-5954434-1555062393-8788.jpeg.jpg

A somewhat disappointing album. Sound is strange, with the drums very present in excellent sound on the left channel, but a muddy sounding bass and tinny piano. Programming is annoying, the first half is all boogaloo tunes in the same tempo and groove, followed by ballads and straighahead tunes in better piano sound. Nay's time is impeccable, but his playing is not varied enough. Same for Pauer. When you hit random play, it is more bearable. Far from an audiophile recording.

If anybody wants this CD, pm me.

Edited by mikeweil

R-12508416-1536667810-7942.jpeg.jpg

R-12508416-1536669425-3059.jpeg.jpg

I keep trying to listen to this record when I don't have a 100% undistracted environment. Not a good idea. But in the intervals where there are no distractions, is seems to be really fine. But without the continuity of concentration, it feels like I'm hearing well-spoken snippets of a play in a foreign language that I don't completely understand. DAMMIT!!!

I love Carter's music, but, it's not like you can "leave and return at will" in terms of listening concentration, like I did the Bob Brookmeyer Select last week.

71oESgtwQyL._SS500_.jpg

Freddie Hubbard & Stanley Turrentine - In Concert (CTI)
with Herbie Hancock, Eric Gale, Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette

Combines two LPs (sorta) on one CD.  Hancock received co-leader billing on Vol. 2 of the original vinyl release.  I think he should've had it on this CD release too.  His contributions are at least the equal of Freddie's & Turrentine's.   

I think this was Jackie´s last date in a studio, I´m not sure, but anyway: It´s an all star thing, wonderful musicians and such a wonderful choice of old tunes, mostly ballads, but also faster versions of "Star Eyes" and "What is this thing called Love". 

I love that record. 

Download (1).jpg

Enjoying the DVD included in this set:

512Rp2WlVsL._SX466_.jpg

61qJrLX3PsL.jpg

I've only watched the first three programs on this 2 1/2 hour DVD.  The second program included the Johnnie Spence Orchestra backing Ms. Fitzgerald on some numbers and Tubby Hayes was given a couple of very brief solos.  The 1974 Ronnie Scott's set is very similar to the Pablo LP she recorded there around the same time.  It was the one of the first "later era" Ella albums I encountered and it's one of my favorites, so it was fun to see that album "in performance", as it were.