• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This CD has, perhaps, the best playing I have ever heard from Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. Though I  much enjoy the Johnny Griffin-Lockjaw Davis albums, the context on this Basie small group recording strikes me as right in Jaws wheelhouse. He is not really a bebop oriented player, and thrives in a mainstream swing context.

No Jaws fan should be without this CD. 

51YXiv3BQ9L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

21 hours ago, BillF said:

Ah, yes! A trip down memory lane! Saw them at Leeds Town Hall on that tour. I was aged 17! :unsure:

On listening to this album for the first time I was struck by how sensationally good on alto the 22-year-old Tony Coe was! For a long time I thought I was listening to Bruce Turner!

Coe was a great discovery by Lyttelton. I think I remember reading that Humph rescued the youthful Coe from some sort of trouble with the authorities.

Yesterday I had "vibes." I started my listening to this cd by Betty Roche "Take the A Train" on Solid Records/Bethlehem originally. It has Eddie Costa on vibes which is an automatic reason to buy any album. ;) And I moved from there to Gary Burton's "New Vibes in Town" on Sony Japan cd, and then moved on to Jay Hoggard's "Fountain" on Muse cd.

Had to revisit Betty today though. . . 
Betty Roche "Take the A Train"
betty-roche-take-the-a-train-20120402020

Edited by jazzbo

R-7923187-1466819585-3009.jpeg.jpg

Just couldn't really connect with this one, although I did like Christian McBride's "West Philly Tone Poem".  A ticket stub tucked inside the liner notes shows that I saw the McCoy Tyner Quintet at Yoshi's on Wed. Feb 1, 2006 (10 PM show only for $20 -- such a deal!).  Don't recall any details about the show, unfortunately.

R-1748545-1577943924-6573.jpeg.jpg

Have you Becheted today?  You'll be glad you did!;)

It amazes me that what we hear here is, due to the recording technology limitations of the time, only a rough approximation of what Sidney Bechet's playing actually sounded like -- and yet this music still kills me with its vigor and cockiness and sense of fun and adventure.  I don't know if I could have withstood hearing the full power and majesty of Sidney Bechet's playing live and in person.  It'd like be enough to make a body tremble.