• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is another kind of jazz than what I listen to usually, but indeed very fine chamber jazz , free forms in a very subtile manner. Maybe not for every day listening, but very fine to figure out. The interaction between those three true masters is excellent. 

But it has also some very hard swingin sections too. 

Download (6).jpg

8 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

The only disappointment in the otherwise splendid Tubby Hayes Complete Fontana set, a bit of commercial schlock. Hayes has a few moments, but this one was obviously included just to keep the set complete:

tubby hayes.jpg

Commercial yes - but Tubby’s playing is full of lyricism in this set. Definitely worth inclusion IMO.

I suspect Jack Baverstock at Fontana was trying to get Tubby some air play on the then-new BBC Radio 2. Probably the morning Jimmy Young programme and its like. The music has that sort of ‘air’ about it.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Phil Ranelin: The Time Is Now

What an amazing album!  I'd never even heard of Ranelin, but about 15 years ago I spied a used copy of The Time Is Now at Euclid Records, and bought it pretty much based on the cover, instrumentation, and the recording date/location alone.  Brilliant date!

I've been listening to Jack McDuff's Heatin' System tonight:

R-2545769-1331134035.jpeg.jpg

For the first time in a while, I had some energy left at the end of the workday.  So I spent some time writing today's entry in my 70s jazz blog.  I had some fun with it.  It's about The Heatin' System and Soul Jazz in general.  If you care to give it a read, click here.

6 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

41x239a2yjL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Every time Fritz Pauer played in a club it was a highlight, he was fantastic. I saw this trio with Jimmy Woode and Tony Inzalaco on several occasions , shortly before or after that record came out, and in April 1978 they played with Johnny Griffin ! 

R-5126831-1388959717-5951.jpeg.jpg

R-5126831-1534802947-9911.jpeg.jpg

a little goes a long way, and there's more than a little here. but anybody who says something along the lines of that they "don't see what the fuss was all about"...well, can't help you there.

Even so, a little does go a long way. And there is more than a little here.