Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51l6tFCx7VL._SX466_.jpg

I always had my suspicions about that whole teaching old dogs new tricks proposition.  i mean, sure, you quite possibly could teach Yo-Yo Ma to play the valve trombone, but why would you want to?  He seems to be doing quite well with what he's doing now -- let him stay focused on that.  Sometimes it's better  to let the old dogs do their old tricks again and again until they have got 'em down perfectly, thus the trick becomes making sure there is no separation, no difference between the dog and the trick.  That's how workmen become craftsmen, and  how craftsmen become master craftsmen, and how master craftsmen become artists. 

If your ever in the mood for some sweet ass blues piano, here's an old dog who knew a trick or two and he played 'em with relish and style.

(There are moments during his performance of "Apex Blues" when Mr. Hodes rather loudly and exuberantly kept time with his foot on the studio floor.  Listening to this disc on the player in my car. whenever his foot hit the floor, I could actually feel the floor of my car vibrate.  As Dame Edna would say, "Spoooooooooky".)

33 minutes ago, soulpope said:

MI0001767684.jpg

Quite superb ....

You're quite right!:)

This 2018 recording of Dave Liebman, Adam Rudolph and Hamid Drake is really great. Dave Liebman was one of my first idols, since I saw him live and heard "Drum Ode". Here, decades later it seems at some times that this is some further developement of things that started with "Drum Ode". It´s a fantastic album. 

Download (10).jpg

13 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent album, feat. IMO the best ever cover version of "Song For My Father" ......

The audio in the videos seems to come from a rather "noisy" LP.  Has this ever been issued on CD?  It is a nice album.  (And "Song For My Father" is the very first track on the album if any one wishes to check it out.)

Edited by duaneiac

20 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

The audio in the videos seems to come from a rather "noisy" LP.  Has this ever been issued on CD?  It is a nice album.  (And "Song For My Father" is the very first track on the album if any one wishes to check it out.)

Beneath a vinyl copy also have a japanese CD (reissued by Universal Japan as  MVCJ-19180 in 1999) .... believe there was no other reissue ....