• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was 1974, so yes, there is electric piano here.  :(  There is also a cover of "Land of Make Believe" and The Jackson 5's "I'll Be There" plus Joe Wilder, Marvin Stamm, Stanley Clarke and horn & string arrangements by Charles Stepney.  Not a great album, to be sure.

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

20d545e88b4709d909f52031cfa453c42e2ba1f3

All-time fave ....

it sure is. Especially those Monk ballads "Ruby My Dear" and "Monks Mood" are great and also live versions of those tunes are great. Also "Thelonious" and "Off Minor". 

There is also a live recording from about the same period at the Cafe Blue Note with the same personnel, and all those tunes together with an outstanding Version of "Round Midnight" . 

Some fine "Bud Plays Monk" is also on a Mythic Sounds Album (Tribute to Thelonious). Only that he seems to have difficulties to play "Bemsha Swing" , probably a request from the audience……..

The last two days I've been listening to SACDs I bought from Acoustic Sound's sale of Analogue Productions.

Listened to these Blue Note titles:

Joe Henderson "Page One"
Big John Patton "Along Came John"
Jackie McLean "Cappucin Swing" (I've never heard a better digital version of this title)
Sonny Rollins "Vol. 2"

And these Verve titles:

Johnny Hodges "With Billy Strayhorn and Orchestra"
West Montgomery with the Wynton Kelly Trio "Smoking' at the Half Note"
Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges "Back to Back"
Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges "Side by Side"

These Verve titles sound so f'in good that it sent me on a side trip of messing around with isolation to further refine the system sound. Other than Classic Records gold cds these are among the best mastered jazz discs I've ever heard.

Now moving to one of the two RCA Living Stereo titles I bought:

albeniz-ravel-iberia-complete-rhapsodie-

Jean Morel/Paris Conservatory Orchestra "Albeniz: Iberia/Ravel: Rapodie Espagnole" disc 1

Iberia is sounding fantastic.

Edited by jazzbo

My "Gordon-mania" continues ! 

I was lucky to see Dexter live on several occasions. We were a little group of big Gordon fans and I remember our exitement when the appearance of his next album "Gotham City" was advertised in the news-folders of our favourite record dealer. 

Finally in spring 1981 the "new album" Gotham City was in the shop, I bought it and went few blocks down to the little hip  jazz club "Spelunke" were we were regulars, and they spinned it and we all listened to it. 

The other record from 1982 is  very fine live playing, though the sound quality is not the best. It´s great to hear the live version of "Moment´s Notice" and "Body and Soul". 

Download (3).jpg

Download (2).jpg