Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-8020885-1453630221-1741.jpeg.jpg

An interesting and very enjoyable date. Mr. Mulligan's band featured  some less well-known musicians (although vibist Dave Samuels would become much better known in the following years), but the bandleader spent a little extra and got the veteran rhythm team of George Duvivier and Bobby Rosengarden and the performance of "K-4 Pacific" here shows why it's worth it to spend a little extra and put Duvivier & Rosengarden LLC in your band.  I'd imagine even in 1977, Mr Duvivier and Mr. Rosengarden were both still getting a lot of studio work, jazz and non-jazz, and they probably would not have gone out on the road to Europe with just any  one.

Say what you will about Gerry Mulligan the bari sax player (I love his playing), Gerry Mulligan the composer was pretty cool and "Song For Strayhorn" is as lovely a number as one could ever ask for.

Yes, 

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

R-7415685-1474136784-6955.jpeg.jpg

Yes, he roars indeed!

Been transfering all my Willie The Lion Smith discs to mp3 these days. Huge pile it was, starting from his very first recordings backing up Mamie Smith in 1920 all the way down to his last recordings in 1972, paired with another giant, Jo Jones. 

I could call myself a huge lionish freak! :crazy:

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Yes, 

Yes, he roars indeed!

Been transfering all my Willie The Lion Smith discs to mp3 these days. Huge pile it was, starting from his very first recordings backing up Mamie Smith in 1920 all the way down to his last recordings in 1972, paired with another giant, Jo Jones. 

I could call myself a huge lionish freak! :crazy:

So much of Smith's music is out of print and then there are the various video clips floating around the web:

R-8029450-1453772331-3606.jpeg.jpg

OJC-022 (NJ-8236) LP 1982. Realized I hadn't posted anything in awhile. We are going on week five of Covid stay-at-home orders. It's funny I couldn't really listen to music for the last 4 weeks. For whatever reason it felt strange given the situation. I'm changing that tonite. Love Dolphy. When I started listening to Jazz this dude stood out to me. Always a great listen. Love his bass clarinet and flute playing. Finally found a nice LP copy. An OJC rather than original but sounds super!