So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Great early work of the Little Giant ! 

I think this one was not so easy to purchase when I started collecting BN CDs in the 90´s . The most famous and easy to purchase Album was the "Blowin Session". This one is also very very fine ! 

I was lucky I saw Griffin on several occasions live. The first time was in  spring 1978 in a small Viennese Club "Jazz-Freddie" , and the quartet was marvellous: Fritz Pauer on piano, Jimmy Woode on bass and Tony Inzalaco (who also recorded with Dexter) on drums. I think this was before Griff returned to the States. 

The last time I saw him must have been around 2004, 2005, he had slowed down a bit, but still a lot of great Music there……, on "Lester Leaps In" he was really back , sounding as sharp as 40 years earlier…...

So many great memories with Griffin, I love him. 

Wonderful recollections, Gheorghe.  ... I never had a chance to see JG.  Wish I could have.  He was such a force on tenor.

And pair him Lockjaw.  Phew!  Yeah.

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4633027-1377588591-6502.jpeg.jpg

R-4633027-1377588595-5995.jpeg.jpg

If I was really forced to bare-bones the Mulligan selection of my collection, I think I would only keep the original quartets with Baker and this one.

Sorry, CJB, but I can get "that type of thing" (more or less) in several other places. This right here, not so much. It's  a beautiful, inventive, and beautifully inventive record, totally "modern" and totally Mulligan.

I forget, did this one make HutchFan's 70s list?

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I forget, did this one make HutchFan's 70s list?

Nope.  I gotta admit that I'm not a big fan of Mulligan.  

His only entry on my 70s list is as a co-leader -- with Brubeck at the Berlin Jazz Days in 1970.

I've just never grooved much to his sound. 

I guess he's a "blind spot" of mine.  

Edited by HutchFan

:o

55 minutes ago, gdogus said:

71clgAUNFQL._SX425_.jpg

Joshua Redman Quartet, MoodSwing (1994) - with Brad Meldau, Christian McBride, and Brian Blade.

I've always really liked this album -- some good original pieces on it, in various moods.  Geez, it's been around for 26 years now!

Al Haig on piano makes this a special Dexter Gordon session.

Dexter plays soprano sax on one track which makes that one my least favorite. The individualism of Dexter's sound (and phrasing) on tenor sax is one of his major positive qualities. When he plays soprano, he loses that individualistic feature and I doubt many would be able to identify his playing as belonging to Dexter Gordon.519XrUYXUJL._AC_UY218_.jpg 

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Nope.  I gotta admit that I'm not a big fan of Mulligan.  

His only entry on my 70s list is as a co-leader -- with Brubeck at the Berlin Jazz Days in 1970.

I've just never grooved much to his sound. 

I guess he's a "blind spot" of mine.  

If you're respectably familiar with Age Of Steam, ok, fair enough.

but if not, respectfully suggest a relisten/reconsideration. It's a very "70's" sounding music and in all the good ways. Plus, yeah, I know, Mulligan as a player swims in the shallower end of the pool most of the time, but this is not a record to listen to for his playing (except his piano playing, which is very strong here), it's his writing. masterful here, imo, both the germ ideas and the ensemble realizations.

Let's put it this way - by the time of this record, Mulligan had lived and played through Nixon as both Vice-President and President.

This is his McGovern album.

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If you're respectably familiar with Age Of Steam, ok, fair enough.

but if not, respectfully suggest a relisten/reconsideration. It's a very "70's" sounding music and in all the good ways. Plus, yeah, I know, Mulligan as a player swims in the shallower end of the pool most of the time, but this is not a record to listen to for his playing (except his piano playing, which is very strong here), it's his writing. masterful here, imo, both the germ ideas and the ensemble realizations.

Let's put it this way - by the time of this record, Mulligan had lived and played through Nixon as both Vice-President and President.

This is his McGovern album.

Mulligan is not one of my most favorite baritone sax players, but I do enjoy many of his albums. The Age of Steam is not one of them. I suspect it is that very 70's sounding music that appeals to you, that I don't really like.

I much prefer the Concert Jazz Band recordings as well as a number of his other sessions such as the Sextet with Zoot and Jon Eardley,  the quartet with Tommy Flanagan - Jeru -, his meeting with Ben Webster, his quartets with Art Farmer, and Walk On the Water with a big band.