So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Saw Philly during his UK residence. He was with Roland Kirk and Benny Bailey.

The venue? Free Trade Hall, of course! :D

Sidewinder: Is this gig mentioned in The Book?

Yes, 1968. Part of a 3 hour plus double bill with the Clarke/Boland Band which the book refers to as ‘legendary to this day’.

After 1970 things seem to tail off catastrophically with jazz at Free Trade Hall though.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, 1968. Part of a 3 hour plus double bill with the Clarke/Boland Band which the book refers to as ‘legendary to this day’.

After 1970 things seem to tail off catastrophically with jazz at Free Trade Hall though.

Interesting! Helped my memory re the Clarke/Boland band. I thought I'd seen them and had the idea it was on the night before Kenny's drum clinic at the Band on the Wall in about 1979 which I also attended - but it couldn't have been, as the CBBB was no longer in existence then. So I saw them in 68!

Re the 70s there was still a lot happening at the FTH. I recall seeing Lionel Hampton, Woody Herman, Mahavishnu Orch and Gil Evans.

5 minutes ago, BillF said:

Re the 70s there was still a lot happening at the FTH. I recall seeing Lionel Hampton, Woody Herman, Mahavishnu Orch and Gil Evans.

According to the book after about ‘72 it drops off catastrophically and venues such as Southport became much more prominent. Hence the book stopping at about 1970, although there is a short chapter covering 71/72.

You need to get a copy of The Book ! :D

Edited by sidewinder

Now playing disc 6 of the new Paul Desmond "The Complete Toronto 1975 Recordings" box set from Mosaic Records.

strongPaul Desmond, alto sax; Rob McConnell, valve trombone; Don Thompson, bass; Jerry Fuller, drums.

Bourbon Street, Toronto, October 30, 1975

Things Ain’t What They Used To Be       previously unissued

Let’s Get Away From It All                        previously unissued

Wendy                                                  previously unissued

Line For Lyons                                     previously unissued

Just Squeeze Me                                     previously unissued 

Edited by jazzbo

On 5/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, duaneiac said:

R-9234323-1477109265-5599.jpeg.jpg

I had never heard of this session and after some research, I found that it had been originally released in Japan as "A Love Story" by the Manhattan Trinity +1 on the M&I label. It was reissued in Japan in 2011 and there are some copies out there. One is on its way to me.

7 hours ago, bresna said:

I had never heard of this session and after some research, I found that it had been originally released in Japan as "A Love Story" by the Manhattan Trinity +1 on the M&I label. It was reissued in Japan in 2011 and there are some copies out there. One is on its way to me.

Nice.  I hope you enjoy it. 

NP:

51Lq6yYFbtL._SY355_.jpg

51 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Please explain?

Pitch bending. Hodges tended to bend upwards, Edwards downward.

Of course. I have no data to prove that, and of course they both bent both ways. But that was just an impression I had after playing that record a few times this morning.