So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

R-5115093-1408711545-4701.jpeg.jpg

At once I can hear everything everybody has said about Jamal, positive and negative, and totally get all of it. All I can say is, I like him because at the end of the records, it's a net plus, damn near always. On these records in particular, where you get two versions of "Poinciana", neither like the other, in fact, two or three more that different from alike would not be a problem.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spun this one yesterday for Memorial Day:

R-7282387-1506545409-4598.jpeg.jpg

I know I am in a distinct minority in that I happen to like Dave Brubeck's piano playing.  I like the way his style evolved over time, yet always remained very personal & identifiable.  He made a series of solo piano albums for Telarc towards the end of his career and this was his  "What did you do during the way, daddy?" record.  The songs he selected had personal meaning for him relating to his WWII experiences.

Then on to --

51i6U9MTuhL.jpg

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

R-4217280-1358812420-3437.jpeg.jpg

That´s the trio I saw live in late 77 and early 78 at Jazz Freddy, Schottenfeldgasse , the greatest club that existed. 

And THIS TRIO together with Johnny Griffin in April 1978, those were the days…..

11 hours ago, Simon8 said:

01-INPARISFESTIVAL.jpg

I´ll never Forget how it was when I bought this in spring 1978. I already had some Miles Davis records and loved them, but here I was shocked at first when I heard only that French Radio voice tellin us something about Bach and Mo-zard, and the bad recording Sound. But after the first listening I loved it. Miles never played faster bop trumpet than here. People said he could not Play as high as Dizzy, but here he is very near to Diz and Fats, just a topnotch trumpeter. And James Moody sounds so much ahead of his time, sometimes he sounds almost like some later 60´s avantgardists or screams almost like Dave Liebman did 30 years later. And not Forget the very fine solo piano of Tadd Dameron. The French bass Player is top, he can Play like all the great american bop bassists, and Kenny Clarke is the true master……., the Bop Father...….

49 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

iu.jpegiu-1.jpeg

I just ordered a copy of this myself. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to hearing it. I haven't seen saxophonist Avery in many many years. I wonder if he's still playing?

I also thought about buying their recording with Antonio Hart in the sax chair, "American Meditation", but I held off.

17 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I spun this one yesterday for Memorial Day:

R-7282387-1506545409-4598.jpeg.jpg

I know I am in a distinct minority in that I happen to like Dave Brubeck's piano playing.  I like the way his style evolved over time, yet always remained very personal & identifiable.  He made a series of solo piano albums for Telarc towards the end of his career and this was his  "What did you do during the way, daddy?" record.  The songs he selected had personal meaning for him relating to his WWII experiences.

Then on to --

51i6U9MTuhL.jpg

Fantastic music on both -Love June´s recordings with Guarnieri. Brubeck recorded at that time some beautiful solo albums, "Indian Summer" is my dearest.

R-8265117-1586119491-3160.jpeg.jpg

R-8265117-1586119361-4603.jpeg.jpg

Actually, a somewhat meaningful record, except for when Jon Faddis solos, which is on every cut and in no predictable order.

But is there meaningfulness in imperfection, annoyance even? Perhaps there is. But I'd have liked this pretty good record into damn good status if Jon Faddis was not on it, at least not playing like this.