• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Self was the "voice" of the mothership in "Close Encounters." I've got this album and at least one more by him, very much a jazz date for medium-sized ensemble., with a lovely setting of "Maiden Voyage." Also an  album of classical pieces where he plays his transcription for tuba of Debussy's famous solo flute piece "Syrinx." It's at at once amusing and very beautiful.

R-11629192-1519682095-5731.jpeg.jpg

R-11629192-1519682102-2288.jpeg.jpg

NOTE - Produced by Ray Brown, NOT Norman Granz!

This is a really good record. They all are. If you had 20 or so Milt Jackson records that all sounded about the same and were all REALLY good, which ones would you get rid of if you had to, and why?

That's not nearly as easy a question as it might seem...because they are all REALLY good.

I think the answer might be to just put them on a flash drive, that way you could keep them all AND get rid of them all!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

R-11629192-1519682095-5731.jpeg.jpg

R-11629192-1519682102-2288.jpeg.jpg

NOTE - Produced by Ray Brown, NOT Norman Granz!

This is a really good record.

Interesting that Ray had producer credit. Granz was very much involved - according to Janie Harris' bio, he said to Gene on the first day of recording, "I don't want any of that Three Sounds shit on this album!" :o

The record is also important because it led to Gene joining the Ray Brown Trio, and the excellent second act he had as an international performer.

Today's playing so far. . . .

Saw others playing Coleman Hawkins and joined in. . . .

Coleman Hawkins "Night Hawk" OJC cd.
night-hawk-cover-thankfully-hi-res.jpg

Followed by
"The Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge, Pete Brown, Jo Jones All-Stars at Newport" Verve cd
hawkin_cole_colemanha_103b.jpg

And then on to something quite different, the "SF Jazz Collective" (2005)
s-l600.jpg

Alto Saxophone, Flute – Miguel Zenón
Arranged By – Gil Goldstein
Bass – Robert Hurst
Piano – Renee Rosnes
Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone - Joshua Redman
Trombone – Josh Roseman
Trumpet – Nicholas Payton
Vibraphone, Marimba – Bobby Hutcherson

13 hours ago, jazzbo said:

"Hank Mobley and His All Stars" 24 bit by RVG Blue Note Japan cd.

R-7765626-1551207501-7745.jpeg.jpg

There are so many Mobley Albums for BN from 1956-57 with similar titles "Hank", "Hank Mobley", Hank Mobley quintet, Hank Mobley sextet, that I lost the trace and I must admit though they all fine, I don´t listen very much to them, much more to the early 60´s Mobley Albums. 

But THIS ONE, from the mentioned period is my favourite, really fine that they added Milt Jackson. 

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-444693-1372293448-6130.jpeg.jpgR-444693-1588024907-7786.jpeg.jpg

Bags is great. Is Bags ever NOT great?

The only "qualm" I might have about this record is the pianist, who gets a little splashy-flashy in spots for my taste.

But hey, Bags.

I remember , I think that I remember, that Johnny O´Neal was with the Jazz Messengers for a very short time. I think I saw him with Blakey in 1983, is that possible ? I remember a nice piano Sound, nice lines and I think on the ballad Medley he had a solo spot on "summertime", but I can imagine what you mean with "splashy - flashy" especially in surroundings with Bags.....