So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

46 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-727328-1485464702-3665.jpeg.jpg

R-727328-1485464703-2832.jpeg.jpg

What a gem of a record! The band appears to be mostly D.C./Baltimore in original and everybody can play. They are today referred to as "unknown".

Pianist Yusef Salim went on to make an ongoing cultural contribution, he is NOT unknown!

http://carolinajazzconnectionwithlarrythomas.blogspot.com/2008/08/brother-yusuf-salim-rip.html

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-3136766-1458019170-8711.jpeg.jpg

Rollin-With-Leo-2-picture.jpg

I really dig this Bill Swindell guy, sounds like he had at least one more gear than he got to go to on these records. should be at lest a little bit more recordings of him, but life is not fair.

I also dig how Parker's playing here sometimes speaks the same language as later Lester Young.

When I picked up Let Me Tell You 'Bout It, I hadn't yet heard Tadd Dameron and Illinois Jacquet, so the entire band was new to me.  Being so impressed by the sidemen, I once wrote Buck Hill and asked him whatever became of Swindell and Burks, but I didn't hear back from him.  Even though the strong Rollin' with Leo brings in some better-known musicians like Burns, Acea, Lucas and Hogan, Let Me Tell You 'Bout It edges it. 

Two great albums, though.  Parker cleaning up and suddenly dying after making such a comeback was a tragedy.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

R-727328-1485464702-3665.jpeg.jpg

R-727328-1485464703-2832.jpeg.jpg

What a gem of a record! The band appears to be mostly D.C./Baltimore in original and everybody can play. They are today referred to as "unknown".

Pianist Yusef Salim went on to make an ongoing cultural contribution, he is NOT unknown!

http://carolinajazzconnectionwithlarrythomas.blogspot.com/2008/08/brother-yusuf-salim-rip.html

I'm listening to this and enjoying it very much.  Thanks!

Earlier:

Hank_Maybeck.jpeg

Currently:

Beirach, Richie - Live at Maybeck 19 - Amazon.com Music

Beautiful version of "Some Other Time" on this one.  It's been too long since I have revisited any titles in this Maybeck Hall series.  Some really satisfying music by some of the world's greatest jazz pianists was preserved for us on these discs..  I wonder if there were any concerts left in the vaults by the time Concord ended the run of releases.  There are certainly some pianists I wish had been recorded in this setting back in those days, such as Ray Bryant, Art Hodes, Mulgrew Miller, Sir Charles Thompson, Dorothy Donegan, Tommy Flanagan, Don Pullen. 

R-2335182-1279605125.jpeg.jpg

R-2335182-1279605157.jpeg.jpg

R-2335182-1462051930-9871.jpeg.jpg

R-2335182-1558089559-9014.jpeg.jpg

I get that it was mostly DeJohnette's thing, but listening today, one could be forgiven for thinking that it was in places a Bob Moses thing!

I'm finding myself still liking it, even if with eye-rollings at any number of given moments.

Too bad Harold Vick never played on a Marvin Gaye record.