• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-11316980-1514069980-3970.jpeg.jpg

R-11316980-1514070034-9067.jpeg.jpg

There he is, there he was, there he will always be. He ain't goin nowhere except there.

I don't love that about everybody, especially deepening what/where "there" is.

But with Jackie McLean, yes, please. There, always. Love.

Fire & Love. There.

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-11316980-1514069980-3970.jpeg.jpg

R-11316980-1514070034-9067.jpeg.jpg

There he is, there he was, there he will always be. He ain't goin nowhere except there.

I don't love that about everybody, especially deepening what/where "there" is.

But with Jackie McLean, yes, please. There, always. Love.

Fire & Love. There.

Excellent late-period Jackie Mac.

Joe Farnsworth - Make Someone Happy (Hadley Street Records). Self produced CD by Farnsworth with the band he calls "Joe Farnsworth & Primetime":

• Trumpet – Jim Rotondi (tracks 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6)
  • Trombone – Curtis Fuller (tracks 1, 2, 3, & 5)
  • Tenor Saxophone – Eric Alexander (tracks 1, 2, 4 & 6)
  • Vibraphone – Steve Nelson (tracks 2, 3, 4 & 5)
  • Piano – Dave Hazeltine
  • Bass – Nat Reeves
  • Drums – Joe Farnsworth
  • Congas – Ray Mantilla (tracks 4 & 6)

This is a nice date. The piano sound is a little too much like something RVG would do (love it or hate it). I love Curtis Fuller but he seems to be having some trouble getting through this date.

R-15227742-1588372452-2609.jpeg.jpg

R-15227742-1588372458-5493.png.jpg

R-2286068-1462980012-4462.jpeg.jpg

R-2286068-1462980023-7936.jpeg.jpg

hmmm...McPhee has a great sound, but this music...if you want an example of how there was kind of a "void" after Coltrane died and before AACM got more traction/exposure in/to the collective hearing, maybe this will do. Certainly nothing worng with it, and again, McPhee's core power is still here, but as far as "purpose"...that would be forthcoming.

Ok, the longer this one plays, the better it gets to me.

I liked it a lot more by the time it was over. The opening things just seemed kinda weeeeyascreee but then they stopped that and started doing something else, and THAT was very good!

I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, here it is almost 50+ years later and people still be chasin' dat trane, this was less that 5 years later. But then as now, there's no place to go with that other than a weaker version of what already was.

But they figured that out themselves, right? And right on the gig apparently! :g

9 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

38738779ey.jpg

38738780eh.jpg

I think I saw him play in Leeds in the 1960s. The outfit was called the Polish Modern Jazz Quartet. I recall my pianist friend Paul Woodrow having a "discussion" at the keyboard with their pianist in which their only shared words were "Wynton Kelly" and "McCoy Tyner". :lol:

1 hour ago, BillF said:

I think I saw him play in Leeds in the 1960s. The outfit was called the Polish Modern Jazz Quartet. I recall my pianist friend Paul Woodrow having a "discussion" at the keyboard with their pianist in which their only shared words were "Wynton Kelly" and "McCoy Tyner". :lol:

I saw him live with his quintet last year at the Jazz Od Nowa Festival in Toruń, Göttingen´s twintown in Poland. Zbigniew Namysłowski, born 1939, was honored on stage by the Rector of the University of Toruń.

Line up: Zbigniew Namysłowski (as), Jacek Namysłowski (tb), Sławomir Jaskułke (p), Andrzej Święs (b), Dawid Fortuna (dr)

I finally picked up this release, which is an amazing concert recording from Amsterdam 1964, and some of the best Garner I've heard. A very handsome reissue package as well.

Erroll Garner "Night Concert" Octave Records/Mack Avenue cd
[IMG]