• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not really "by" them, it's really that The Bossa Tres' record. Lasha & Simmons are just on some cuts, heads and solos. They play well enough, but they do much more impactful work almost everywhere else, ever.

also on some cuts is Clifford Jordan, who plays very well when he plays.

Truthfully, it's a curiosity item above anything else. You could be forgiven for thinking htat it's going to be Music Matador Unleashed or something like that, but no, no even a little tiny bit that.

I mean, it's a fun record, and if you find it at a fun price, by all means, hop on, take a ride. But past that....don't get taken for a ride.

45 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It's not really "by" them, it's really that The Bossa Tres' record. Lasha & Simmons are just on some cuts, heads and solos. They play well enough, but they do much more impactful work almost everywhere else, ever.

Truthfully, it's a curiosity item above anything else. You could be forgiven for thinking htat it's going to be Music Matador Unleashed or something like that, but no, no even a little tiny bit that.

I mean, it's a fun record, and if you find it at a fun price, by all means, hop on, take a ride. But past that....don't get taken for a ride.

Let me refine that answer - it's actually a pretty good record as far as jazz/bossa goes. It's not faux or anything like that. The core trio is very good, actually.

But Simmons/Lasha/Jordan are not in any way the focal point of the record, nor does their presence bump it up a notch or two. It's interesting to hear them, but unless you really want it otherwise, they come in and they go out.

Well, Jordan's presence does add value, actually, he plays very well here, very well. But he's just on a few cuts.

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Let me refine that answer - it's actually a pretty good record as far as jazz/bossa goes. It's not faux or anything like that. The core trio is very good, actually.

But Simmons/Lasha/Jordan are not in any way the focal point of the record, nor does their presence bump it up a notch or two. It's interesting to hear them, but unless you really want it otherwise, they come in and they go out.

Well, Jordan's presence does add value, actually, he plays very well here, very well. But he's just on a few cuts.

That's a shame. I was having daydreams of Firebirds Jazz Samba.

Thanks for the description, though. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Looks mostly like a prime source for BFT material.

"Fred Hersch Plays Monk"R-1051566-1188245424.jpeg.jpg

Followed by
Candice Hoyes "On a Turquoise Cloud," which is quite nice. The lovely Ms Hoyes sings the way Ellington liked his singers, does a credible Kaye Davis wordless vocal or three, and reminds me in many places of Alice Babs, a good thing.

Candice-Hoyes-Banner-1.jpg?fit=640%2C301

candice-hoyes-606x404.jpeg