• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Miles Davis "Water Babies" Columbia/Sony CD (from the Complete Columbia Albums box set).

I used to play in fire hydrants in Phladelphia as a kid in the summer. One of the neighbors would come along with a monkey wrench and open it up and kids, black and white, from the blocks about would run to cavort in the water and sail popsickle boats down the gutters. And in about an hour the City guys would show up and turn it off. The hydrant was just at the end of my block. This would happen about five times a summer. 

When I hear the RMI pianos playing on side two I'm taken back to the trailer of one of my friends in the 'seventies where he had one of these distinctive sounding pianos and I would fool around with it. 

29-WATERBABIES.jpg

Followed by
Joe Henderson "Double Rainbow" Verve cd

Jobim. . . and Joe. . .these are a few of my favorite things.

712045.JPG

I bought the Dexter Gordon Montmartre Cafe material in this series as well as the Thelonious Monk Black Lion material in this series and love the sound. So I ordered this one and it arrived today. Wow. This is some of my favorite Konitz which I only have on very early dull sounding cds and this is a real improvement.

Lee Konitz At Storyville/At Harvard Square/Konitz (Japanese paper sleeve edition) Storyville/Muzak (Japan 2 cd set)

[IMG]

61z1f0qbNbL._SX466_.jpg

Went looking for this on the shelf last week and was quite WTF? when I realized I never got it. So...thank you Amazon Seller HPB Ruby (aka Half Price Books), y'all done me right.

I still like the 40s band more, because you can't duplicate that kind of gonzo. But I like this band just fine, more and more as time goes by. Not gonzo, but property damn unequivocal!

150175176517.jpg

Disc 2, Session D (w/ Benny Powell, Gigi Gryce, Tommy Flanagan, George Duvivier and Elvin Jones): I've found some Mosaic bargains in my day, but $9.99 for this set (minus the box and giant book) takes the cake.  Oddly enough, I own this and the Thad/Mel quartet album and none of the big band. :blink:

4 hours ago, Justin V said:

150175176517.jpg

Disc 2, Session D (w/ Benny Powell, Gigi Gryce, Tommy Flanagan, George Duvivier and Elvin Jones): I've found some Mosaic bargains in my day, but $9.99 for this set (minus the box and giant book) takes the cake.  Oddly enough, I own this and the Thad/Mel quartet album and none of the big band. :blink:

I picked up a couple of straggler spare CDs from that box back in the day - I wonder if it was one of the ones affected by the reputed CD plant pilfering?

R-1724710-1239945314.jpeg.jpg

Candid

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

61z1f0qbNbL._SX466_.jpg

Went looking for this on the shelf last week and was quite WTF? when I realized I never got it. So...thank you Amazon Seller HPB Ruby (aka Half Price Books), y'all done me right.

I still like the 40s band more, because you can't duplicate that kind of gonzo. But I like this band just fine, more and more as time goes by. Not gonzo, but property damn unequivocal!

Dizzy's solo on "The Champ" is my all-time favorite. Nobody, but nobody, could soar over a big band like Dizzy.

gregmo