• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just love this one. Very late Jobim, selections by other Brazilian songwriters he recorded for an excellent series of cds produced in Brazil featuring Brazilian artists performing the songbooks of Brazilian composers. All Jobim's contributions to the series are collected here. Lovely music.

Tom Jobim "My Soul Sings"
tjminhaalma.jpg

I just finished listening to a Maynard Ferguson gig on the Blue Note's Patreon page.  I think that I own one album with Ferguson on it but I enjoyed the fun set.  I'm kicking myself for missing a Ferguson gig about 10 months before he died.  I was in my last semester of college and only a few years into my jazz listening.  Who knows what the younger me would have thought, but the older me wishes that I had gone.  :(

3 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Ooh, a mono copy...is that real mono or just a fold-down?  Or have I been spending too much time on the Hoffman Forums?

Probably the latter.. :D

Listening to the stereo version on Spotify. I may pounce on the Tone Poet LP so demoing on my streamer. Nothing profound but very enjoyable.

This one is more profound though - 

R-9237083-1477140207-9981.jpeg.jpg

Conn reissue

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

R-8871381-1470515073-2056.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1 of 2, which contains the albums Light, Airy and Swinging (a 1973 trio session with Andy Simpkins and Stix Hooper) and Continental Experience (a 1974 quintet session with additional Latin percussion)

Really like that ‘Three Originals’ series. They were a bit elusive/expensive here when they came out though.

George Shearing had a very happy period at MPS, by all accounts.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Probably the latter.. :D

Listening to the stereo version on Spotify. I may pounce on the Tone Poet LP so demoing on my streamer. Nothing profound but very enjoyable.

A mono copy of Lou Donaldson's "Mr. Shing-A-Ling" is most definitely a fold-down.

And the Tone Poet LP is a very nice sounding LP. I was surprised at how good it sounded. So far, I still think "Introducing Kenny Burrell" has the best sound in the Tome Poet series but this one is close.

59 minutes ago, bresna said:

A mono copy of Lou Donaldson's "Mr. Shing-A-Ling" is most definitely a fold-down.

And the Tone Poet LP is a very nice sounding LP. I was surprised at how good it sounded. So far, I still think "Introducing Kenny Burrell" has the best sound in the Tome Poet series but this one is close.

It’s on my (growing) list !

The Burrell reissue is an absolute blinder. Astonishing for something that is now 65 years old.

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Really like that ‘Three Originals’ series. They were a bit elusive/expensive here when they came out though.

George Shearing had a very happy period at MPS, by all accounts.

I bought my copy of that George Shearing Three Originals set used.  Inside it, in addition to the liner notes booklet, there was also a one-sheet, fold-out Japanese copy of the liner notes.  In one corner of that, the original owner (I presume) has handwritten $44, so I guess that's what he paid for it.

Now playing:

1441107620.jpg