Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2851315-1303935968.jpeg.jpg

A late, lamented Toronto live jazz establishment. Recorded by board member Ted O’Reilly.

One of the great things about that place was that you could invariably get a seat or standing room on busy gigs, without reservation.

Edited by sidewinder

I used to think of my fondness for Florence's writing and for his band as a weakness on my part for what a musician friend of mine calls "white bread" (Chuck, I know, agrees with him). But last night a better understanding  (I think) of what I like about Florence began to dawn on me as I listened to "Magic Time." Florence's Limited Edition was a latter-day  equivalent to the Casa Loma Orchestra, and Florence, with his hypnotic obsessively  proliferating riffs,  was a latter-day Gene Gifford. And if you think those are dubious things to be, a refresher course in jazz history might help. Hey, I've got no less than Max Harrison on my side when it comes to the semi-forgotten virtues of Casa Loma, and Max may be the most fearsome hole card  in all of jazz criticism. I know; I've faced off against him and paid the price.

51atqvav9IL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Hmm ...

From a mid-1960s Blindfold's Test with Thelonious Monk: ’That [“Straight No Chaser' from Bob Florence’s album  “Here and Now”} was  a bunch of musicians playing an arrangement, It sounded so good, it made me like the song better! Solos … the trombone player ({Herbie Harper] sounded good .. that was a good lead trumpeter too [John Audino]. … I’’ve never heard that before. I don’t know how to rate it, but I’d say it was top-notch."