Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51rGfvqsbvL._SY355_.jpg

I just read the sad news today that Ms. Sloane suffered a stroke last week.  I'm giving this recording a spin for the first time; it was still sealed, still with the Tower Records price tag on it, so it must have been one of the (many) items I snapped up during their going-out-of-business sale years ago.

GUEST_72fa73f3-b878-4b52-b949-18bf23656c

Disc 1 of 2, recorded at Newport on July 7 and into the early hours of July 8, 1956.  The studio "retakes" recorded on July 9th are on Disc 2.

The Monk CD I listened to earlier had as bonus tracks 2 songs performed by Thelonious Monk with the Ellington Orchestra at the 1962 Newport Festival.  Duke announced "Monk's Dream" as being Billy Strayhorn's arrangement.  No announcement was made regarding "Ba-Lue-Bolivar-Ba-Lues-Are".  Were these one time only performances or had Monk's group and Ellington's band done one of those multi-city package tours together and this was something they had already road tested?  Did the Ellington band record either of these tunes, perhaps turning up on one of the "stockpile" releases that have come out throughout the past 30 years?  I kind of wish one of Ellington's Reprise era albums had been an Ellington Plays Monk one, a mix of big band and small group tracks and most definitely an Ellington quartet performance featuring Paul Gonsalves playing "Ruby, My Dear".

23 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-14521743-1576262971-3117.jpeg.jpg

Got this today. I like Teddy Edwards her much more than on any other album I have heard him play. Will look for more from this year. And just as I asked myself if there were more records with Billy Higgins in an organ combo (after hearing him on Shirley Scott's Strata East album) - well, here 'tis!

Thanks for bringing this up. I ordered a copy myself.