• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

6480D1B8-25EC-474A-A54B-1C56DBF07ADA.jpeg

B9A64562-1F48-40BD-AA26-41CCB8486AE2.jpeg

Damn, had no idea they had recorded together - and I've cruised thru Ashby's discogs page many times, so entirely my bad to not know of this one. Amazing that according to discogs he didn't record again as a leader for 17 years after.

20 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Damn, had no idea they had recorded together - and I've cruised thru Ashby's discogs page many times, so entirely my bad to not know of this one. Amazing that according to discogs he didn't record again as a leader for 17 years after.

Dan,

Dutton/Vocalion has reissued that Gonsalves/Ashby LP on this CD:

81N%2BKJ1niDL._SL500_.jpg

I've never heard the music either, but I've eyed this CD many times.  ... I expect I'll get it eventually. ;)  

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Dan,

I've never heard the music either, but I've eyed this CD many times.  ... I expect I'll get it eventually. ;)  

This CD contains Gonsalves & Ashby's album "Two From Duke", not "Tenor Stuff".

29 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Dan,

It'd be worth buying on its own and it is paired with a great Carney album.  You even get the rare recording of Gonsalves playing guitar.

Now playing:

R-2943064-1308417034.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1: Mosaic did a remarkable job with this set.  The sound is incredible.  I was reading a book to my daughter, who is not quite 2&1/2, and she hopped out of the chair to dance to this.  

I found a Japanese copy of this early two cd set for a great price. . . and I spent a bit of time comparing the American version to it. . . and both are quite nice, the American a little darker, the Japanese a little airier. . . .

I love this music. I love Gershwin (a love my father's passion for the music instilled in me) and I like how this "Almanac" differs from other "Songbooks" in arrangements and ensemble variety and the unique nature of Connor's interpretative singing. Just gets to me. . . in part because her voice also reminds me in timbre of the voice of someone I love very very much (the "one that got away.")

Chris Connor "Sings the George Gershwin Almanac of Songs"

46 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Dan,

I've done some searching and realized its not Tenor Stuff, as Kevin pointed out.

And Two From Duke has four tracks that are Ashby and rhythm - and they are all on an MJR release,  Born to Swing, which has four more quartet tracks. What a discographical mess - and the usually informative MJR liners are all about Ashby but nothing about the music or even his colleagues on the date.

Anyway this has led me to pursue the Born to Swing release first.

45 minutes ago, bresna said:

This CD contains Gonsalves & Ashby's album "Two From Duke", not "Tenor Stuff".

19 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I've done some searching and realized its not Tenor Stuff, as Kevin pointed out.

And Two From Duke has four tracks that are Ashby and rhythm - and they are all on an MJR release,  Born to Swing, which has four more quartet tracks. What a discographical mess - and the usually informative MJR liners are all about Ashby but nothing about the music or even his colleagues on the date.

Sorry gents!  My bad! 

Keeping on with the PG binge today:

6F8191A0-EC3E-4594-B067-490945899015.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Sure, that’s also a nice date!

532E3B33-429B-4596-A5CD-E33C6601CF22.jpeg

9BEFDFD1-F7D2-4D89-A8C8-1519E76E9479.jpeg

Edited by EKE BBB

Very fine Curtis Fuller on Timeless, recorded in Roma 1982 with the great Roma Jazz Trio with Danilo Rea on piano, Enzo Pietropaoli on bass and Roberto Gatto on drums. A very fine set of tunes, the album starts with an ultra rapid "Impressions", and also features "Naima". Highly recommended. 

Download (1).jpg