• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

R-3934970-1468308906-5122.jpeg.jpg

This one is really great, I think it´s the one that features "There´s No Business like Showbusiness", isn´t it. 

I have the CD with the same cover. But first, in the 70´s I had a Prestige Double Album with this session on it. 

34 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

This one is really great, I think it´s the one that features "There´s No Business like Showbusiness", isn´t it. 

I have the CD with the same cover. But first, in the 70´s I had a Prestige Double Album with this session on it. 

"There´s No Business like Showbusiness" is one of the tracks. yes... loving this album to.:D

6 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Ts that a compilation of previously issued material?

No.  This 1994 CD was part of a Verve Discoveries series of previously unreleased material.  The 1964 group heard here was the quartet with Gary Burton, Gene Cherico and Joe Hunt, and this was the first and only studio session recorded by this quartet.  As Mr. Burton wrote in a brief essay included here, Mr. Getz was worried that "the bossa nova was burying his jazz identity", so he wanted to record a straight jazz session.  The record company wanted more of the bossa nova stuff, so this session sat on the shelves for 30 years.  I really like the sound of Getz and Burton together and wished that combination had lasted a little longer.  "Little Girl Blue" here is Stan at his Getziest.