• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What coincidence ! I´m also listening to Big John Patton right now. Now spinning "Let ´em roll". This one has a very interesting line up with Grant Green and Bobby Hutcherson. Really fine, a really happy feeling record. And very interesting the choose of Hank Mobley´s tune "Turnaround". 

Download (2).jpg

Yesterday and today I revisited the first three recordings of Barbara Lea (and the first has four additional songs recorded with Billy Taylor at the piano later in her career).

My favorite is "Barbara Lea" on Prestige with Johnny Windhurst. Johnny Windhurst also appears with her on the followup Prestige, "Lea in Love" though there are expanded groups that I don't quite enjoy as much, though several tunes are elevated by the wonderful underrated baritone playing of Ernie Caceres. I have both of these in DSD remastered cds from Japan that sound excellent.

"Barbara Lee"
150664404277.jpg

"Lea in Love"
a-woman-in-love-barbara-lea-lea-in-love-

The first, "A Woman in Love" on Riverside is reissued on cd with nice sound on the Audiophile Records cd mastered by Jack Tower. Billy Taylor appeared on her original debut session and also appears here mixed with four tunes with only Billy on the piano recorded in '78. On the original tracks Johnny Windhurst appears as well. And his playing is very fitting.

"Barbara Lea" Audiophile Records cover
s-l600.jpg 

Original Riverside 10" EP cover of "A Woman in Love"
682236.jpg

Lea was a good singer, in the Lee Wiley school but transcending it in ways I really enjoy. 

Edited by jazzbo

5 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Re Stan Getz 1964 with Burton

No.  This 1994 CD was part of a Verve Discoveries series of previously unreleased material.  The 1964 group heard here was the quartet with Gary Burton, Gene Cherico and Joe Hunt, and this was the first and only studio session recorded by this quartet.  As Mr. Burton wrote in a brief essay included here, Mr. Getz was worried that "the bossa nova was burying his jazz identity", so he wanted to record a straight jazz session.  The record company wanted more of the bossa nova stuff, so this session sat on the shelves for 30 years.  I really like the sound of Getz and Burton together and wished that combination had lasted a little longer.  "Little Girl Blue" here is Stan at his Getziest.

Thanks for the Info. Ths one escaped me and I am a great Getz fan. Have never seen it and its now on the want list.The revised discography from Arne Astrup lists this  one with Burton, Hunt & Cherico  on the MGM label # 4273.

Can you please list the tracks? Iam very interested.

W

Edited by jazzcorner

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for the Info. Ths one escaped me and I am a great Getz fan. Have never seen it and its now on the want list.The revised discography from Arne Astrup lists this  one with Burton, Hunt & Cherico  on the MGM label # 4273.

W

All the info about this CD can be found here: https://www.discogs.com/Stan-Getz-Nobody-Else-But-Me/release/3097980

Edited by duaneiac

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

W

R-3097980-1315646942.jpeg.jpg

This used to be pretty hard to find when it went out of print and went for pretty good money for a while. I don't think any Jazz CDs are worth big money today so be patient in your search.