So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

MI0001858256.jpg

MI0002822070.jpg

Very, very intense tenor playing. At times disturbingly intense...

Hell, any record that opens with a song called "Pie Crust"...if you grew up in a pie culture, you know what that's about.

This ain't your mildly-interesting early Muse Ricky Ford...this is a guy with something going on inside.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

MI0001858256.jpg

MI0002822070.jpg

Hell, any record that opens with a song called "Pie Crust"...if you grew up in a pie culture, you know what that's about.

This ain't your mildly-interesting early Muse Ricky Ford...this is a guy with something going on inside.

Sampled this. You're right -- this is a big step forward from his Muse days, when his playing left me wanting to throw things.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

MI0001858256.jpg

MI0002822070.jpg

This was recorded in 1999, only a few years after Ford's mother died in the TWA Flight 800 plane crash that also claimed Wayne Shorter's wife, Jon Lucien's daughter and 227 others. She was flying to Paris to visit him. His playing may unintentionally reflect this.

11 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Sampled this. You're right -- this is a big step forward from his Muse days, when his playing left me wanting to throw things.

Yeah, post-Muse Ricky Ford gets a lot of interesting a lot of the time. Explore with a modicum of confidence.

29 minutes ago, bresna said:

Ford's "Songs For My Mother" has some great playing on it, including another live version of "Pie Crust". It is intense, particularly the title track:

Ford, Ricky Sextet - Songs for My Mother - Amazon.com Music

"Pie Crust"...what a great, knowing title for a piece...such a thing in some cultures, pie crust is, a very personal thing...I tell my kids about it so they recognize that there are pie crusts beyond what you buy at the grocery store place.