• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Is that the Affinity reissue  Cat# 173?

Have also seen another cover  as Bethlehem Cat# 09 title "West Coasting"

This quartet session was originally on Bethlehem. I have it as part of a Conte Candoli 2 CD set on Fresh Sound.

I believe that the "West Coasting" is a quintet date,  and is also on the 2 CD Fresh Sound set.

17 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

This quartet session was originally on Bethlehem. I have it as part of a Conte Candoli 2 CD set on Fresh Sound.

I believe that the "West Coasting" is a quintet date,  and is also on the 2 CD Fresh Sound set.

Ahh yes. Have done a little research. Here are the results.

- The Quartet  "Sincerely Cool" was Bethlehem BCP 1016 = 4tet with 9 tracks ---> Nov. 20, 1954

- 5 tracks appear on BCP-9 "West Coasting" +  Sims & Giuffre = Sextet from  Dec. 6, 1954 with additional 6 tracks

- The Affinity  Aff 173 " Cool And Dandy"  has 9 tracks with the quartet + 3 additional tracks  with the Holman/Candoli quintet ---> July 1955

More tracks from the latter appear IMO  on the LP BCP-30 Candoli Vol.2 (Japan edition = Powerhouse Trumpet)

Have to check that Fresh Sound CD-set what I am missing ---> result:

These are the missing tracks here:

CD 1: track # 01 & 02 / CD 2: Tracks  # 09 /010/ 011

Edited by jazzcorner

Started the day off with the Ezzthetics release of part of the Heliocentric Worlds material from Sun Ra.

Sun-Ra-Arkestra_Heliocentric-Worlds-1-2-

Sure improved sound. Though I think I do miss some of the mud of the ESP DISC 3 cd version in comparison. Gives a bit of body.

Then on to a Japanese 24 bit by RVG lp facsimile Blue Note cd version of Grant Green's "Goin' West." Forgot how much fun this one is. Billy Higgins should get a medal for the drum patterns he comes up with here! And Herbie is really working. . . .

s-l300.jpg

Then it was on to Kurt Elling, "Close Your Eyes" Blue Note cd, from the box I got from Tire-Bitin' Man (I think he might have previously been a Street-Fighting Man). I love that tune, "Close Your Eyes," its melody and harmony are tailor-made for jazz. Another good release from Elling that I'm getting to know.

kurt-elling-close-your-eyes-201701301335

Then it was on to something different, the 50th Anniversary reissue of Grateful Dead "Working Man's Dead." It sounds really good. It sounds a bit different from the Mobile Fidelity SACD version which is excellent, they are both good editions of this classic album. The lenticular cover for this is truly something else in a great way.

1dcf7fa5-ca4f-4354-8630-61b274c97241-GD_

And as a British comedy team used to say, now for something completely different.

Flying Lotus "Flamagra"
flyinglotus.jpg

Edited by jazzbo