Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

416l1q-8PUL.jpg

This is a CD any Jack Teagarden fan will want to have.  Not for the music, necessarily -- the music is kind of a happy, disheveled jumble.  But the atmosphere captured (by Wally Heider) at these two sets at the 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival is priceless.  In the afternoon set, Big T leads a band that features not only brother Charlie on trumpet, but also sister Norma and even Mama Teagarden on piano.  One can hear the familial pride and affection in Big T's voice.  Also on hand are Pee Wee Russell and Joe Sullivan.  in one of several great introductions spoken by Big T, he notes that he had known Pee Wee since 1924 -- back when he was still a teenager.  The evening session finds those two veteran jazzmen joining the Teagarden brothers and special guest Gerry Mulligan.  The music is an untidy yet interesting hodge podge.  This disc is a wonderful tribute to Jack Teagarden.  Those two sets must have been an absolute delight for him.  And less than 4 months later, Big T was gone, making this CD all the more poignant. 

Edited by duaneiac

20 hours ago, duaneiac said:

416l1q-8PUL.jpg

This is a CD any Jack Teagarden fan will want to have.  Not for the music, necessarily -- the music is kind of a happy, disheveled jumble.  But the atmosphere captured (by Wally Heider) at these two sets at the 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival is priceless.  In the afternoon set, Big T leads a band that features not only brother Charlie on trumpet, but also sister Norma and even Mama Teagarden on piano.  One can hear the familial pride and affection in Big T's voice.  Also on hand are Pee Wee Russell and Joe Sullivan.  in one of several great introductions spoken by Big T, he notes that he had known Pee Wee since 1924 -- back when he was still a teenager.  The evening session finds those two veteran jazzmen joining the Teagarden brothers and special guest Gerry Mulligan.  The music is an untidy yet interesting hodge podge.  This disc is a wonderful tribute to Jack Teagarden.  Those two sets must have been an absolute delight for him.  And less than 4 months later, Big T was gone, making this CD all the more poignant. 

Unbelievable!  I picked up this CD several years ago because I knew that I eventually wanted to do a Night Lights show about the 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival.  This morning I put it on for the first time, as that show's coming up in a few weeks, and came here to post that I was listening to it... had not checked this thread in some time.  What a weird coincidence!  I'm about halfway through the first set, Bit T is introducing his mother as I type.  

Edited by ghost of miles

52 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Unbelievable!  I picked up this CD several years ago because I knew that I eventually wanted to do a Night Lights show about the 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival.  This morning I put it on for the first time, as that show's coming up in a few weeks, and came here to post that I was listening to it... had not checked this thread in some time.  What a weird coincidence!  I'm about halfway through the first set, Bit T is introducing his mother as I type.  

IIRC That's the cd on which he says he and Glen Miller wrote the verse to Basin Street Blues.