Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MI0002015827.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Y'know another advantage of CDs over digital files?  While listening to this disc, I opened up the liner notes booklet only to find the ticket stub from the first time I saw the Gene Harris Quartet -- Feb. 17, 1996 at Ohlone College.  So in addition to enjoying the fun music on this CD, I also got to re-enjoy a few memories of that concert.

50 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

What do you think of this record, jcam?

If you like Jason's compositions, its much of the same. Odd and at times shifting time signatures.  Solo-wise nothing overtly fiery (aside from his solo on Kalispel Bay!) from Jason but very deliberate as expected. Mark follows Jason's lead, their interplay is exceptional, and when he solos its much in the same vein as Jason, nothing searing, very contemplative and with Mark's unmistakeable tone. Matt and Kendrick are their typical selves. I honestly think that either could fit into any ensemble. It's a 2 CD set and as you move to the second disc things tend to liven up more and the band feels like it is settling in. 

2 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

If you like Jason's compositions, its much of the same. Odd and at times shifting time signatures.  Solo-wise nothing overtly fiery (aside from his solo on Kalispel Bay!) from Jason but very deliberate as expected. Mark follows Jason's lead, their interplay is exceptional, and when he solos its much in the same vein as Jason, nothing searing, very contemplative and with Mark's unmistakeable tone. Matt and Kendrick are their typical selves. I honestly think that either could fit into any ensemble. It's a 2 CD set and as you move to the second disc things tend to liven up more and the band feels like it is settling in. 

Thanks. 👍

1 hour ago, bresna said:

This is a great set. I saw that band live several times and this 2 CD set really captures what I heard.

I agree. Bought this set from Greg in person and he was kind enough to sign it. He is a regular presence in the English Summer - hopefully back doing his stuff next year.

Edited by sidewinder