Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-8981224-1472693130-7653.jpeg.jpg

Matt Wilson's Arts & Crafts - The Scenic Route (Palmetto, 2006)

I think Matt Wilson does a great job of putting across a very clear personality in his music -- both in his compositions and his playing.  A friendly whimsicality and everyday good folks-y feeling.  "Arts & Crafts" is a perfect name.  ... Of course, it doesn't hurt that he's got/had such stellar musicians in his group. Terell Stafford, Gary Versace, and Dennis Irwin. (R.I.P.)

4 hours ago, aparxa said:

Naima%27s_Love_Song.jpg

Wish I would've bought that CD back in the day.  Now, you've got pay a king's ransom for it!  

... Maybe it'll get reissued one day.

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

Great album, terrible sound quality. Always wondered why it sounds so flat 

It was one of those very early Columbia digital transfers. I think the Japanese may have redone it, but that's an expensive buy, and I don't know if it's better.

gregmo

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

It was one of those very early Columbia digital transfers. I think the Japanese may have redone it, but that's an expensive buy, and I don't know if it's better.

gregmo

Ah. I was under the impression the vinyl version was poor also. I may look for the Japanese version. This music does deserve to sound better. 

71oA+nmTj8L._SS500_.jpg

This CD is kinda the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of jazz -- two great sounds that sound great together!    It's a shame that these great musicians never got together in the studio to record a formal album together.  In his liner notes, Irving Townsend has a beautiful and accurate description of Paul Desmond's playing on "Greensleeves" -- "each note cotton wrapped".  That put a :) on my face.