So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Meditations by Prima Materia featuring Rashied Ali (KFW, 1995). I thought the idea was a bit of a weird novelty at the time, but their version has grown on me. There was a lot of talent in the band and I think its music has dated well. 

R-5478181-1397554548-9650.jpeg-2.jpg

9 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

cover.jpg

Fantastic piano trio. Plus it's a k2.

This is one of my all time favourites, and among the albums that were responsible for hooking me into jazz back in the day.  I remember being surprised at just how much music he was able to generate with just two hands: it is a nice crisp piano trio, but it hits as hard as a brassy big band. 

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Washburne & The S.Y.O.T.O.S. Band - Fields Of Moons (Jazzheads). A more mellow CD from the usual barn-burning S.Y.O.T.O.S. (See You On The Other Side) band. Really enjoy the soft Latin rhythms. Many of these tunes give you the feeling that you should be dancing. I'm a little disappointed that Washburne hasn't been able to record with this band in a while. His last S.Y.O.T.O.S. CD, "Low Ridin'", was recorded and released in 2015, so they're overdue.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/819BMefDdLL._SX425_.jpg

2 hours ago, Justin V said:

I bought this from Princeton Record Exchange when I most recently saw Roy Haynes, 2 months shy of 70 years after the album's session with Haynes.  Incredible.

That is indeed incredible.  

Justin, your comment made me think of this famous photo of Roy with Bird, Monk & Mingus:

2aa388f83865cb209137e28f2dc67293.jpg

The others have been gone for DECADES ... but not Roy, God bless him.

Edited by HutchFan

R-11999483-1526302443-5751.jpeg.jpg

R-11999483-1526302459-2239.jpeg.jpg

OMG - starting on 6th (7th?) straight run trough today....it gets better every time through. No bullshit, 100% music, continuous expression spoken my a true virtuoso of speaking in and of a personal musical vision and voice.

ANOTHER one I've taken too long to get too. When Tommy's Jazz puts them up for/on sale, comb closely. If you're like me, you're like, eh, I got a buttload full of Clifford Jordan records, let's just add one to the pile, and no, this is not an "add-on" record, this is damn near essential.