Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Yes! It’s really been a joy listening to this again this morning. Great sound too on the JRVG edition, purchased many years ago from Son-of-a-Weizen, who once frequented these parts on a near-daily basis. 

FWIW, Jackie McLean's "New Soil," which was recorded three months earlier, is in a similar bag. The three principals are the same -- McLean, Byrd, Davis -- with different bass and drums.I always think of these records as a pair.

Just now, Mark Stryker said:

FWIW, Jackie McLean's "New Soil," which was recorded three months earlier, is in a similar bag. The three principals are the same -- McLean, Byrd, Davis -- with different bass and drums.I always think of these records as a pair.

Thanks for the reminder—I’ll pull that one out now, actually. McLean is one of my favorite saxophonists, a real gateway artist when I first started listening intensely to a lot of jazz in the early/mid-1990s. (That 1964-66 Blue Note set was one of the first Mosaics I ever bought, along with the Andrew Hill.) Might be a good time to go on a Jackie binge in general.

41-DiJHWAhL.jpg

Jule Styne,  Not exactly a name one thinks of in the company of GAS creators such as Gershwin, Porter, Kern or Berlin, but the man had quite the career.  He was something of a piano prodigy and had performed with the Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit Symphonies by the time he was ten years old.  He was 21 when his first hit song came in 1926 with "Sunday" -- yeah, that "Sunday" which became something of a jazz standard.  And I suppose to complete the weekend, he later wrote "Saturday Night (Is The Lonelieset Night of The Week)".  He went on to write a number of songs for movies (such as "I Don't Want To Walk Without You", "I Fall In Love Too Easily", "Time After Time" and "Three Coins In The Fountain") and a series of hit Broadway shows (including Bells Are Ringing, Gypsy and Funny Girl).  The man's work speaks for itself, but he still hasn't seemed to get the "songbook" treatment from very many singers the way Gershwin, Porter, Kern, etc. do, which make this Maxine Sullivan album (one of her last) most welcome.

The one song on this collection which always knocks me out is one I'd never heard of before.  Sometimes, it's not just a matter of pairing the right material with the right singer.  Matching the right material to the right singer at the right time can make all the difference in a song.  Had this song been available for Ms. Sullivan to sing during her first round of musical stardom back in the 1930's, it would have  seemed like yet another song about the end of a romance or love affair.  Sung by a woman of maturity, it suggests a far deeper loss.  Beautiful trumpet solo by Glenn Zottola.  Lyrics by Carolyn Leigh.

Edited by duaneiac